cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 WiFi Connection Problem

oas2103
Apprentice

Hi guys - I am new to the M50. Love the camera so far!

But I am having trouble pairing it with my computer over Wifi.

Here's what's going on:

I work in a shared office space that has an open WiFi network. My computer is connected to this network. And I connected the M50 to this network in the WiFi settings of the camera.

However, the EOS Utility Launcher and Pairing Software I installed on my Mac don't seem to see or find the camera on the WiFi network.

The camera screen says "Pairing (Connection) with the computer in progress. Start EOS Utility on the computer".

That's what I did no the computer. The EOS Utility is open. It's the latest version. I just installed it.

But nothing happens. What can I do?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

The open network may have something to do with it, depending on how it is set up. Some open networks have other restrictions on them which prevent other types of devices from communicating properl. This is most common with networks that ask you to check in on a browser in order to use like the networks at some coffee shops or universities but it can happen on networks which are totally open as well. The other possible cause could just be crosstalk in the office. If there are a lot of devices connected to the network the communication may be harder to establish.

A good way to test any of these would be to try to connect to your computer at home via your personal WiFi network since it would eliminate nearly all of these potential causes.

Thanks, Mark - really appreciate your feedback. I will try at home. That's a good idea.

alexpilion
Enthusiast

It does not seem from M50 documentation that camera support that type of connection.
I have a M6 and the wifi is supported only to be used for connection with Android or I-Phone by Using Canon Camera Connect.
Generally the EOS utility require to use a USB cable except for higher gamma models, like EOS R, EOS 5 and few APS-C ones, there is no EOS wifi network support.

To see if your camera support the feature check if there'is the computer icon within your camera wifi icons, it is the one with yellow box around here below.

Wi-Fi EOS Functions camera menu

Announcements