cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Utility freezing/closing and not recognizing camera (windows 10)

dtauchen
Apprentice

Hello everyone, I've been having a ton of issues getting EOS Utility set up on my new Windows 10 computer. Here's what's happening: I've downloaded the latest version of EOS Utility directly from the Canon website. When I connect my camera (a Canon 5D MIV) and switch it on, EOS Utility launches then immediately freezes. I've also tried to access the images via Canon Digital Photo Professional and am getting an error message that the device is either not responding or has been disconnected. I've tried swapping out USB cables, updating the camera driver, etc.  When I go into windows explorer to see if I can view the images on the camera's cards, I'm able to navigate down through the folders CF>DCIM>100EOS5D and then when I double click on the 100EOS5D folder the explorer window closes immediately preventing me from getting to the images. Is there some sort of firewall or other security setting that is rejecting my camera? I've tried turning all of that off through Windows Defender with no luck. And I don't have any other virus protection software running on this system. Anyone able to help? Thanks!

Here's a bit more about my system:

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Carbon AC Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU
32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 BLS16G4D240FSC on qvl
Samsung m.2 970 EVO 500 GB
Seasonic 750W Sonic Focus Plus Gold PSU
Samsung 2.5in 860 EVO 1 TB
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dtauchen wrote:

Hello everyone, I've been having a ton of issues getting EOS Utility set up on my new Windows 10 computer. 

Here's a bit more about my system:

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Carbon AC Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU
32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2400 BLS16G4D240FSC on qvl
Samsung m.2 970 EVO 500 GB
Seasonic 750W Sonic Focus Plus Gold PSU
Samsung 2.5in 860 EVO 1 TB
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB

I do not believe all of your system hardware is on the HCL, Hardware Compatibility List.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do not believe all of your system hardware is on the HCL, Hardware Compatibility List.  

I've searched for this list without success.

Can you point me to the link...or the section I can search for it ?

dtauchan,

Nothing about your custom built system differs from the primary system I use EOS and DPP with the following exceptions: Ryzen vs. Intel, and Home vs Pro OS.  Earlier this year I did testing and felt fairly confdent I had debunked the conception that EOS and DPP would not run properly on the Home verion of windows.  This is because I had it installed on hardware running both versions of the OS for serveral months, and have continued to run under Pro all along.

I supported AMD for years and was a long time user until 2003 when Intel ditched slot technology P1~P3 and went to socket 478 (P4).  Up until that time AMD was the star and gave intel a run for its money performance wise and a lower price point.  Intel chips also didn't have the compatibility issues and had better floating point performance.  The tide started to turn.  I switched back to Intel and never looked back.

Thats not true today.  AMD is back.  While I am not a fan of Ryzen, I acknowledge it as a viable underdog and lower cost answer to Intel.  Good for others, but not for me.  I'm entrenched and am not going back.  But nothing wrong with their chips.

I think what wadizzzle is saying....  There is a posibility that Canon's Software might not be fully compatible with your processor or system architecture.  I tend to share this belief s well.

If I were you.  I would:

Test my equipment on another system (Intel based, Pro version OS)

If you have another AMD based system, test with it as well.

This should help rule out compatibility issues, ensure your camera is functioning properly and let you acertain if its something specific with the Ryzen rig.  Engaging Canon support wouldn't hurt either.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think what wadizzzle is saying....  There is a poosibility that Canon's Software might not be fully compatible with your processor or system architecture.  I tend to share this belief s well.

If that's the case I hope Canon will develop Ryzen compatability in their EOS Utility.

It might be in their interests going forward. 

You don't have to look far to find mention of Ryzen regarding photo, video and graphic design.

Ryzen 7 2700 current price is $259   8 cores 16 threads

Intel i7 9700k current price is $409    8 cores   8 threads

If this post was written three years ago, I would recommend Intel. However, AMD has been the game changer recently and their processors are the best in terms of price to performance ratio. The second-generation Ryzen processors are better than the first generation, and they are optimized better for Adobe applications. As AMD boosted the processor race, Intel introduced new processors as well, but with higher prices. Intel also introduced six-core entry-level processors, but not all of them support multi-threading. So for professionals, Intel x299 compatible i7 or i9 processors would be the ideal route. If you are tight on budget, then Intel socket 1151 compatible i7 8700K might be the best option as a six-core processor. If you would like to choose an AMD Ryzen processor, a build with the latest eight-core Ryzen 7 2700x will be cheaper than all Intel alternatives above, considering the motherboard prices.

At this price range you're likely looking at the Ryzen 7 1700, 1700X, or 1800 and the i7-8700k. If you were looking for more cores last year, I'd have told you to go with the Intel Broadwell-e i7-6800k which has 6 cores and 12 threads. In 2018, this no longer makes sense.

AMD's new Ryzen 7 1700 is not only cheaper at $399, it's fast and comes with 8 cores and 16 threads. I've done extensive testing with it compared to Intel's Coffee Lake i7-8700k. The Coffee Lake i7-8700k is a 6 core 12 thread processor for just around $400. This is similar to the Ryzen 7 1800.

The Ryzen 7 is the best bang for the buck right now.  Why would Puget systems test an over $1000 CPU against a 3 to 4 hundred dollar CPU?  An overclocked Ryzen 7 will really do well against the i7 in it's price range and even better. 

I just built 2 machines.  One is an i7 7700 and the other is the Ryzen 7 1700X.  I'm blown away by the Ryzen.  They have done very well with this build for sure.  The Ryzen will handle 4k very well and even better than a 7700k.  You'll have to go up a step in intel line which will also jump a bunch in price to beat the Ryzen 7.

@elvasked wrote:

I've searched for this list without success.

Can you point me to the link...or the section I can search for it ?

There is no such link.  Shadowsports understood my comment perfectly.  I am questioning if all of your hardware, and most especially the firmware, is compatible with the EOS Utility.

Just because you re running Windows 10 does not mean that all Windows 10 application software is compatible.  There is software compatibility, and then there is hardware compatibility.  Thanks to the .NET Framework, it is far easier to be software compatible than it is to be hardware compatible.

The EOS Utility is I/O intensive.  I have little doubt that the EOS Utility software relies heavily on a specific hardware model.  If your BIOS does not support this abstract model then the EOS Utility may not execute properly.  

Where is this hardware model documented?  If anywhere, it might be in the Canon SDK.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Hello dtauchen, 

We understand you have tried multiple troubleshooting steps to no avail.  You might wish to uninstall the Canon Utilities from your computer and then re-download them from the web site.  

You may also wish to try and connect the camera to a different computer just to rule out the computer as being a source of the issue.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Julius
Rising Star

If you're still having trouble, it might be best to reach out to our support team directly to go over it with them one-on-one. You can reach them at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements