cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Digital Photo Professional wouldn't start after the latest win10 update

Digimark
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I always used DPP 4.11 without problem, but few days ago windows10 did some updates by itself and as result,  now any time i try to start DPP, i get an error message "Runtime error" : " this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way- microsoft visual C++ runtime library".
I tryied to uninstall DPP and reinstall it few times,but I could'nt find a solution to make it start.
If someone had my same experience and maybe found the solution yet, please let me know.

Thank you very much in advance to everyone, that would pay attention to my problem and that will help to solve my issue.

Best Regards

Mark Di Giovanni

37 REPLIES 37

Thank you very much for the tip moranjr. Uninstalling, deleting the Canon folder in ProgramData and reinstalling did the trick, but did not last long for me unfortunately. Like you said lens profile was crashing for me as well. In addition I was missing almost all of the 'Tools' such as Dual pixel raw, focus points were not displaying - I'm using a 5D IV. After closing and reopening DPP 4 back to square one again, same runtime error and program wouldn't start anymore :(. 

Yes I had the same experience. Once the lens profile crashed DPP4 crashed as well and would not open. I'm sure at some point Canon will fix it.

I discovered a few things that may benefit some of us here. Immediately after a startup crash, deleting the Canon_Inc_IC folder in C:\ProgramData\ resolved the startup crash, not necessary to uninstall and reinstall DPP 4. Occasionally you may have to kill 'Digital Photo Professional 4' using the Windows Task Manager after a startup crash to ensure DPP 4 is not running in the background and then delete the aforementioned folder.

That said, I rolled back my computer to DPP 4 version 4.10.0.1 and EOS Lens Registration Tool version 1.10.0 that comes packaged with the DPP 4 version 4.10.0.1 installer from Canon site. Be sure to uninstall the exisiting versions of both these programs and then manually delete the Canon_Inc_IC folder in C:\ProgramData\ prior to the new installation - a reboot after uninstall wouldn't hurt, was not necessary for me. With this version of DDP 4, I have all my functions restored including the 'Add or Remove lens data' operation. I'm up and running now, touch wood. I hope this helps.

Cheers, Raj  

Thank you, Raj.

I deleted the  Canon_Inc_IC folder and now the version 4.11.0.2 loads up well. First problem solved.

I checked and found that my Lens Registration Tool version is 1.7.10. For some reasons, even though it has been enabled [/] EF-S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, I noticed that under the "Notes",  it is not indicated as "supported".  Some of my other lenses are listed here, except for the EF-S10-18mm. Even after I "delete" and "add" it back.

I could not find any latest version of the Lens Registration Tool when doing a search. Incidentally, the new version DDP4 crashed when I was clicking on the [Lens data] button to get the EF-S10-18mm "registered" as it mentioned "Lens data: not available".

So, now that the crash issue has been solved ...I will just have to figure out how to get the EF-S10-18mm data into the DDP4.

****[SOLVED]*** It was my mistake. I  was in my JPG folder and loading JPG images, instead of the RAW folder!!! The Lens Registration is working fine. Smiley Very Happy

You're welcome! glad it worked for you.

Really, really thank you mraj! It works for me!

I specify that I opened the software just one or two hours before the issue.
I remeber that I open the Lens tools and I saw a pop up alert for a second but the software didn't crash... Then I send Contro+B for the batch but it didn't work. So I shut down the program and then... C++ Runtime error. 

Ok! Hopefully this temporany workaround works, but I hope in a official fix!

For future user with the same problem. Unistallation and the new Installation, and erase the Canon INC folder don't compromise the saved setting for each raw you did before the issue! 😄

Glad it worked for you. I figured the lens tool was the offender. I made Canon support aware of my findings. Hopefully they'll find a fix and publish the updated version soon :). 

Cheers, Raj

BTW it is not necessary to uninstall and reinstall DPP 4. Simply deleting the mentioned folder fixed the issue at least for me, I did break it multiple times deliberately and tested this fix, 🙂 .

Thanks! What version of Lens Registration tool are you using?

I'm using DPP 4 version 4.10.0.1 and EOS Lens Registration Tool version 1.10.0 that's packaged with the DPP 4 version 4.10.0.1 installer from Canon site. It's been stable since - I've worked on several of my RAW files since, no issues thus far. 

Announcements