cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon DPP version 4.2.10.0

janko
Contributor

I have currently 20 collections crerated in DPP and I cannot ad more. I received an error message: Cannot add more collections. Is it a "bug" or it is a "feature"?  Is there a way out?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

"...  I upload raw images on my computer to a dedicated folder and then open them via DPP. I choose some pictures to be tweaked and converted. For this I create a collection so I know which pictures were "tweaked" and also I can batch proces them at once.   ..."

You could use ratings and checkmarks to keep track of that.  I used ratings to identify files I wanted to process, and check marks to document the level of progress on each file.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@janko wrote:

Thank you, Bob. I have to admit that I am am very unexperienced user of DPP.  I use DPP as follows: I upload raw images on my computer to a dedicated folder and then open them via DPP. I choose some pictures to be tweaked and converted. For this I create a collection so I know which pictures were "tweaked" and also I can batch proces them at once. The thing is that as soon as I edit pics in 1 folder and move to another folder, DPP requests to "save" edits: "OK to save edited image?" As soon as I do it I cannot see which pictures were already edited in a particular folder (maybe I am missing something here). The other way around it would be to rate the pics I would like to edit and convert and later I could see which pictures were edited. Other way is to open each individual picture for editing to see if any of the parameters were changed to determine which pics were edited before.

I take your answer as "no, there is no possibility to have more than 20 collections". 

Jan, Allschwil, Switzerland

I don't know; I've never used more than two or three collections at a time.

But like Waddizzle, I use check marks to indicate what needs to be done. No check mark means I haven't started to edit the picture or it's still in progress. Check mark 1 means that there's only one thing left to do, i.e. convert to JPEG or TIFF. Check mark 2 means there are two steps left, e.g. convert to JPEG and then use Irfanview for redeye correction or to add IPTC info. Etc.

BTW, Canon, why on earth don't you let us add IPTC info with DPP? The fields are displayed, but are always grayed out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Count your blessings. DPP 3 only allowed one collection!

Seriously, if you find yourself relying on DPP collections as your primary cataloguing mechanism, maybe you need to consider a transition to Lightroom. I've never used Lightroom, but many people in this forum swear by it. Its main claim to fame, other than being a decent photo editor that can grok Canon's .CR2 format, is a database capability that presumably transcends DPP's by a fair margin. At least it makes sense for you to look into it.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. I have to admit that I am am very unexperienced user of DPP.  I use DPP as follows: I upload raw images on my computer to a dedicated folder and then open them via DPP. I choose some pictures to be tweaked and converted. For this I create a collection so I know which pictures were "tweaked" and also I can batch proces them at once. The thing is that as soon as I edit pics in 1 folder and move to another folder, DPP requests to "save" edits: "OK to save edited image?" As soon as I do it I cannot see which pictures were already edited in a particular folder (maybe I am missing something here). The other way around it would be to rate the pics I would like to edit and convert and later I could see which pictures were edited. Other way is to open each individual picture for editing to see if any of the parameters were changed to determine which pics were edited before.

I take your answer as "no, there is no possibility to have more than 20 collections". 

"...  I upload raw images on my computer to a dedicated folder and then open them via DPP. I choose some pictures to be tweaked and converted. For this I create a collection so I know which pictures were "tweaked" and also I can batch proces them at once.   ..."

You could use ratings and checkmarks to keep track of that.  I used ratings to identify files I wanted to process, and check marks to document the level of progress on each file.

Thank you so much. Rating is what I started to use recently.

Best regards,

jan

@janko wrote:

Thank you so much. Rating is what I started to use recently.

Best regards,

jan

I suggest using both ratings and check marks.  I can shoot so many shots that I don't have the time to process all of them.  My first step is deciding which shots are keepers [ratings], which shots are good, and which shots are great. 

I also find need to identify which shots might be part of set, such as a series shots taken with exposure bracketing for an HDR shot, or a series of shots taken for a panaroma.

Before you commit yourself to your own approach of identifying files, take a look a how filters work, and how they allow you to sort the "catalog" of files in restrict how they are displayed in different ways. 

@janko wrote:

I don't know; I've never used more than two or three collections at a time.

But like Waddizzle, I use check marks to indicate what needs to be done. No check mark means I haven't started to edit the picture or it's still in progress. Check mark 1 means that there's only one thing left to do, i.e. convert to JPEG or TIFF. Check mark 2 means there are two steps left, e.g. convert to JPEG and then use Irfanview for redeye correction or to add IPTC info. Etc.

BTW, Canon, why on earth don't you let us add IPTC info with DPP? The fields are displayed, but are always grayed out.

Bob
Announcements