cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon DPP out of memory bug

ernest
Contributor

For several releases now Canon DPP has memory related problems.

The latest DPP version I use is 3.14.15 (3.14.15.2), I use it on an iMac 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4Gb memory and OS X 10.9.3.

Here's the problem: after a ling series of edits DPP "diplays out of memory" and sops working, I must quit the app. In previous versions it crashed right after diplaying the message, now I have to quit. So Canon seems to be aware of the problem, since it seems to have fixed the crash, but not the memory leak itself.

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Easy fix?   Get Photoshop Elements.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

PSE does not edit Canon RAW files and I can not use Canon profiles.

"PSE does not edit Canon RAW files ..."

Oh but it does, my friend.  It is called ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and comes with PSE.

What profiles are you trying to use?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"PSE does not edit Canon RAW files ..."

Oh but it does, my friend.  It is called ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and comes with PSE.

What profiles are you trying to use?

Adobe provides updates to Adobe Camera RAW to support newly released cameras... but only for current versions.  In other words if your version of Elements (or any Adobe photo software...  Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) is an older version and you bought a new "latest and greatest" camera and want to shoot in RAW, you'll find that it wont support that new camera and the only way to get support (from Adobe) is to upgrade to their latest release of that software (which can be really painful for Adobe "Creative Cloud" software because that software is subscription-based licensing and not traditional perpetual licensing.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I don't think that has happened, yet!  But you are right everything comes to an end.

They just added the T5 and G1 X II.  And it doesn't deny the fact any of the Adobe products PSE, LR or PS are way, way better than DPP.  Can't speak for Aperture.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, there are two thoughts here.  One, Canon is a camera maker not a computer software producer.  And, two, your problem is likely with your Mac and not the software.  I would look there first.

EB
Announcements