cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect Suggestion

AaronD
Enthusiast

I have read lots of posts about how to get Canon Connect to work, and yes I can get it to work--but when I really need it to work, like out on an assignment for a client, the connection is dropped and I find myself standing there staring at an iPad flipping through screens and waiting and flipping through more screens.  All this to say:

Why can't Canon make a remote app for iPad that connects instantly and reliably BY CABLE instead of flakey wifi?

And yes specifically iPad, not laptop.  The EOS Utility (I think that's what it's called) works great by cable connection, but a laptop in the field is an impossible hassle because I can't use a mouse.  A tiny track pad just doesn't work.

Final note:  I'm a photographer, not an IT department.

Just because I don't pose with a camera to my eye doesn't mean I'm not a dork.
13 REPLIES 13

@AaronD wrote:

Not essential, because my work around is to just not use the app.  It would be nice.

Which camera are you using?  Does it have both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi?  Your iPad can not connect to multiple hotspots at once.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using the R with it.  Much improved over the 5Div but still flakey enough that I don't use it if I'm in a rush or with someone watching over my shoulder.  I try not to bumble more than necessary.  

What got me started on this was seeing the Hasselblad version of Connect is updated now--I've always thought that looked perfect with its cord directly into both iPad and camera.  But I really don't know.  

Too much time on my hands lately.

@AaronD wrote:

I'm using the R with it.  Much improved over the 5Div but still flakey enough that I don't use it if I'm in a rush or with someone watching over my shoulder.  I try not to bumble more than necessary.  

What got me started on this was seeing the Hasselblad version of Connect is updated now--I've always thought that looked perfect with its cord directly into both iPad and camera.  But I really don't know.  

Too much time on my hands lately.

I do not know why Canon included the outdated NFC technology in the 5D4.  The 5D4 lacking Bluetooth is why I passed over it in favor of the 6D2.  Bluetooth makes the wireless connectivity easy as pie.  Using Bluetooth does not interfere with the whatever Wi-Fi connection you might have setup in your tablet or mobile device.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support 

If you do not have a copy of the Wireless User Manual, you can use the above link to find your specific camera support page, and download it at the above link.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AaronD
Enthusiast

I'm only just writing again to vent.  I would like to use my R5 tethered but I can't.  I have been ***ing with my laptop and phone for an hour, with cable, without cable, wifi, bluetooth.  Canon Connect, EOS Utility 3.  Troubleshooting, Help, contact Canon, ad nauseam.

For an hour.  This is too long and I'm not going to try any more.  I can pair a mouse in less than 20 seconds.  A trackpad.  A wireless keyboard.  Two different Garmin devices.  I'm not an imbecile, nor am I a computer programing IT department.  I'm a photographer.  Make this easy for me.  Make it possible.

Yes I got the damned cable/computer/EOS Utility to work for a couple seconds.  Image comes up, controls appear.  I change a shutter speed or focus and it works once, maybe twice.  Then it freezes.  This is with a Canon made USB C cable.

I can't get ANYTHING to pair with my phone.  At all.

I don't expect anything to improve in my lifetime and I don't expect Canon to hear me.  I'm just frustrated as hell.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements