cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect + iPhone

tiiaohman
Apprentice

The problem: thousands of unwanted photo folders titled "Canon 6D Mark II" on iPhone generated by the Camera Connect app and no way of removing them.

It first happened with iPhone 8 and now that I bought an iPhone 12 Pro, I'm struggling with it again. I can not get rid of the folders. I tried everything: transferring everything except the photos to the new phone (they followed), iCloud'ing just my contacts to my Macbook and then restoring the 12 from there via usb (they followed).

So it isn't even possible to start from scratch with the new phone, in case I want to save my contacts (without manually transfering them, one by one, which would be as tedious as trying to delete the folders one by one.)

I've chatted with Apple support twice now and we've scheduled a call for Monday (two days from now) to try and solve the problem. I'll let you know what they say but I'm starting to think nothing at this point is going to help me. I'm going to lose ALL my phone data to this and have to use several working days on manually clicking on each folder.

There's a previous thread on the same problem here https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Canon-Camera-Connect-How-to-delete-thousands-of-empty-EO...

and it's marked as solved, but, NONE of these replies helped me. The folders don't show up on iCloud or the Macbook when the phone is connected, so it's impossible to do the "select all & delete" option.

You can view the folder problem here in this screen recording I made: 

https://twitter.com/tiiaohman/status/1319690973178417153

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes, this happens infrequently, but is probematic when it does.  I noticed a new version of Canon Connect was released 10/20.  Not sure if something happened.  What version of CC are you running?

I'm on Android.  I did carry iPhones for over a decade.  If you are unable to delete the folders in iCloud, I suggest the following.

TouchCopy by Wide Angle Software.  British based software devoloper.  I used touch copy for many years.  Its $40, and is worth $100 for what it can do.  Runs on PC and MAC and is 100% legit.  It allows you to backup, transfer and manipulate everything on your Apple device.  And I mean everything.  Thats the beauty of it.  Its also 100% compatible with iTunes.  Note, this is not a hacking software, or something that alters iOS. Its completely legit.  It will solve your issue and others you might not even know you had.      

I'll stick to the Canon side of things, but you can quickly and easily export and import your contacts to and from iCloud in about 60 sec.  Once you connect the iPhone to iCloud (by logging in) they will propagate to your phone.  Thats another topic.  BTW, TouchCopy will do that for you too.  Its free to try and if you determine it can help, then you can buyt it.  Take a look, I promise you will not be disapponted.  

iOS.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

tiiaohman
Apprentice

Right. I got the Apple engineer support call and this is how it went:

Phone rings. I pick up. An automated voice asks if I'm ready to take the call and if so, to press 1.
I press 1. Another automated voice says "you have dialed an unknown (somethingsomething)" and the call ends. Beep beep beep.

I think a Finnish Canon engineer is now looking into it, but I'm starting to think no-one, anywhere, has the right solution to this.

(I don't think paying dozens of dollars / euros for a third party app is the right solution so choosing to ignore the only reply I got so far! :))

Greetings,

Living with the issue while Canon investigates is up to you.  

Folder purgatory doesn't sound like fun.  

Hope someone will figure it out for you. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So because I don't buy your app you're getting snarky? Wow. Thanks for the support, dude.

"My App"???  its not my app and what you decide to do is up to you. No one here is forcing you to do anything.  

You came here asking for help.  I made a suggestion, nothing more, nothing less.  What you decide to do will have zero effect or relavance to me.  

Its a software I have used previously with a positive end result. [That's It] Possible solution to your problem.

So as I said before, I hope you figure it out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements