cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect app, lost the MF button after update on 1/4/2017!

Dodo
Apprentice

The CCC app lost the MF button.

I am using a Canon D6 and an ipad pro and loved! the free Canon app for photo stacking.

After the update on 1/4/2017 I can't find the Manual Focus button to open the menue where I could use the chevron symboles to change the focuse in precise increments. It was such a beautiful tool! A must for macro photography.

I noticed that in the "remote live shooting" window, under settings, there is a "show zoom slider" selection, but it is grayed out. Is this what I need to have turned on, but can't?

I called customer service and a very nice person tried his best to help me with this. He used an old version of the app and was able to use the MF settings in the app, then compared it to another ipad runing the new version, 2.0.10 and did not find the MF settings either. The show zoom slider was also grayed out for him.

Unfortunately, I back up my iPad in iCloud...ICloud only has the newest versions of apps available for download.

If I had recently done a back up through iTunes, I could have hooked the iPad up to my PC and synced the old version of the canon app back to my iPad. Bummer.

Any ideas? Help? I hate to buy a CamRanger just for the manual focus ability, but might have to.

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi!

Thanks for joining the Canon Community Forum.  We recommend completely removing the Canon Camera Connect app from your iPad and reinstalling it from scratch.  A few users have reported this same issue and a complete removal and reinstallation of the app should restore functionality.

If you still need help, our US-based technical support team is standing by ready to help 24/7 via email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT), and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT). We also encourage you to check out our Knowledge Base at that same link for answers to common questions.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I completely uninstalled, then re-installed the app. Now I do have at least the "MF" symbol showing up in the row of icons, but it is grayed out, I can't select it. 

Now what?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you still need help, our US-based technical support team is standing by ready to help 24/7 via email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT), and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT). We also encourage you to check out our Knowledge Base at that same link for answers to common questions.

Turns out the manual focus ability has been taken away in this update, according to the customer service rep. She consulted a Apple expert on the inhouse team.

Why Canon would do that and why a greyed out "MF" button is still visible in the app, but not clickable, is beyond my understanding.

Bummer...

@Dodo wrote:

Turns out the manual focus ability has been taken away in this update, according to the customer service rep. She consulted a Apple expert on the inhouse team.

Why Canon would do that and why a greyed out "MF" button is still visible in the app, but not clickable, is beyond my understanding.

Bummer...

A somewhat plausible rationalization might be that the wireless link was not reliably fast enough to support manual focusing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Maybe with this update...

It was super fast with the previous version. Did not have one problem. I could take images as fast as I could move my Apple pencil. Going this fast, the app and my screen on the camera did not keep pace with the focal point. But, doing similar subject matters repeatedly, I got a good feel for how many images where needed for a good stack. If I overshot what was needed, who cares, those images were easily deleted. It was fantastic...

If I wanted to wait until the camera and the app showed the new focal point area, I could also just do that. As soon as the image appeared on the camera, it also appeared correctly on the app.

Bummer still...  Don't you know a feature in an app is like an entitlement from the government... people don't like if it is taken away.

In any case, I am taking too much of everybody's time. It is what it is. The app is useless to me now, but I can't argue with the price. Thank you for answering within this forum so quickly. Customer service over the phone was also exemplary, as it has before. Kudos for that.

Announcements