cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect App

deveneywilliam
Apprentice

Hello! 

I am creating a self-portrait project and I am using the Canon Camera Connect App with my 5D, Speedlight, and iPhone. My issue is that my camera loses connection so quickly! Then when I go to reconnect through the app, it can't find the network. So, I go back to my camera into the wifi setting, and I have to delete the original wifi settings and then reconnect to wifi, reconnect to camera connect etc.

Is this normal? Has anyone experienced having to flush out their setting every time or should there be a setting where it can be less connecting and more grab and shooting? I find it odd that the network drops so quickly. My app is up to date and would love some insight into this.

Thanks!

Deveney 

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, Deveney!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which version of the EOS 5D you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Danny,

I am us a Canon 5D Mark IV on an iPhone X with the latest Canon Camera Connect software. Thanks for any help provided! 

Best,

Deveney 

Hi there,

Under normal use the connection should not end without notice unless the signal becomes weak or the two devices become too far apart. The working distance will vary depending on your situation but I find when working with the app myself I can usually move about thirty feet away without issue unless a thick wall or something similar gets in the way. Is this something that has suddenly appeared after previously using it the same way in the same scenario without issue?

Wow, that is not what I experience at all.

I am shooting less than 15 feet from my camera that is in the same room and it will go in and out constantly. My wifi is great other than that, my partner and I both work remotely and use it all day from streaming to surfing the web and never have an issue. 

This in and out connection happened since the first time I used Canon Camera Connect a few months ago.

When I connect it, I also can't just select one of my preset. For example, after choosing connecting via iPhone, it is set to 'SET1' that has already been used to connect my wifi with my Canon 5D Mark IV. If I just hit 'Connect to devise' on the following screen, nothing happens. It only gives me the options to 'disconnect exit' or 'confirm set' If I confirm, it takes me to a flip through of five pages with no button to confirm the settings. The only way I've connected to my phone was to erase the settings of 'SET1' and reconnect. 

@deveneywilliam wrote:

Wow, that is not what I experience at all.

I am shooting less than 15 feet from my camera that is in the same room and it will go in and out constantly. My wifi is great other than that, my partner and I both work remotely and use it all day from streaming to surfing the web and never have an issue. 

This in and out connection happened since the first time I used Canon Camera Connect a few months ago.

When I connect it, I also can't just select one of my preset. For example, after choosing connecting via iPhone, it is set to 'SET1' that has already been used to connect my wifi with my Canon 5D Mark IV. If I just hit 'Connect to devise' on the following screen, nothing happens. It only gives me the options to 'disconnect exit' or 'confirm set' If I confirm, it takes me to a flip through of five pages with no button to confirm the settings. The only way I've connected to my phone was to erase the settings of 'SET1' and reconnect. 

What are you using for a WAP, Wirelless Access Point, for your Wi-Fi connection to the camera?  When the iPhone drops teh camera connection, what WAP is it connected to?

The problem with phones is that they will switch from using your local wireless access point in your home to the phone network without much warning.  If it thinks that the WAP connection seemingly going idle, phones may drop it and connect to the phone network wi-fi signal.  

I have an iPad that is Wi-Fi only that stays connected.  My iPhone has phone service and it drops my local network, which is where the camera is connected, in a hearbeat.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements