cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect App removes GPS location info when transferring pictures

jjemil808
Apprentice

Camera: Canon PowerShot SX620 HS

Canon Camera Connect App: Android 2.4.30.14 (build 1034) and iPad iOS 2.4.31.16 (build 1048)

After setting the Canon Camera Connect App to record location and taking pictures with my PowerShot, the GPS location info is successfully added to the pictures when I resync.

But, after that when I use Camera Connect to transfer the pictures from the Camera to my Galaxy S8 or iPad, I go to the picures on my Galaxy S8 or iPad and GPS location info is gone from the pictures.

This issue has been reported before on an older thread:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Camera-Connect-App-User-Guide/td-p/148802/page/9

Thanks to that thread, I found out I have to remove the SD card from the camera and use an SD card adapter to transfer the pictures directly to my Galaxy S8 and iPad. This is not as convenient as transferring the pictures directly with the Camera Connect App, but at least the GPS location info is preverved when transferring the pictures with an SD card adapter.

This has been a known issue, when will this issue be fixed?

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
One reason to default to not including the data could be what would happen if someone had no data to include, which is probably most new users.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I would have thought that in that instance the setting would be redundant and not matter.

@Dbruce wrote:

I would have thought that in that instance the setting would be redundant and not matter.

Not finding a file would throw a software exception, so the software developer would have to write additiona code to "handle" the error.  Firmware has hard storage space limits.  Writing additional code to handle unnecessary exceptions takes away from memory space to implement features.  Besides, it is extremely bad form to allow users to throw exceptions.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Dbruce wrote:

Not finding a file would throw a software exception, so the software developer would have to write additiona code to "handle" the error.  Firmware has hard storage space limits.  Writing additional code to handle unnecessary exceptions takes away from memory space to implement features.  Besides, it is extremely bad form to allow users to throw exceptions.

Rather technical response but if I understand your thread correctly, you are suggesting that defaulting to not including location data is necessary because there would be problems with defaulting to including location info if there is no location to include, and to rectify this would require additional code that could in and of itself, cause additional issues. While an intersting perspective, i'm afraid that with all due respect, I cannot accept that reasoning. And, in fact, would go so far as to suggest that the required coding is already built into the app.

Why do I say this? I have an SL2 that, by default, does not collect or include location data. Based on your reasoning, if I attempt to transfer pictures with the 'include location info' turned on I would run into problems. This is not the case at all. I have no problem whatsoever transferring pictures without location info regardless whether that app is set to include these data or not.

Further, the SL2 can include location info if connected to my iPhone via bluetooth and the CanonConnect app meaning that on the camera I can have a mix of pictures with location info as well as those without. Again, if your reasoning is correct, I would be required to do a two-step transfer; first for the pictures without location info with the 'include' turned off, and second with the 'include' turned on for those pictures with location info. This is not the case as the app currently allows me to transfer both types of picture without problem regardless of the setting (including location info turned on or off). The only difference is that when turned off, the location info is not transferred.

As such, at least for the SL2, the redundancy I spoke of is already built into the app and my orginial question remains valid but unanswered.

Cheers!!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
You do not have accept it. You have to live with it. Exception handling is expensive, both in memory space and time.

I find your rationale that it is already built in amusing. Yes, there’s code to handle just one type of exception. You are suggesting that they should add another exception handler.

It will never happen. The development team is probably broken up by now, and has moved on to newer procducts.

@Waddizzle wrote:
You do not have accept it. You have to live with it. Exception handling is expensive, both in memory space and time.

I find your rationale that it is already built in amusing. Yes, there’s code to handle just one type of exception. You are suggesting that they should add another exception handler.

It will never happen. The development team is probably broken up by now, and has moved on to newer procducts.

I'm not suggesting any such thing. The 'exception' you are referring to has already been addressed as per my comment.

Frogman38
Contributor
Well there are no errors if I transferred files without data and delete Data turned off. it is unbelievable that if defaults to off.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Exceptions are not errors. Unhandled exceptions are errors.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
By allowing users to throw an exception means you need to write code to handle all current and future exceptions.

Since no one can predict the future, the smart thing to do is not to open that door. Do not let users throw unnecessary exceptions.

Get over it. The behavior will not be changed.

Frogman38
Contributor
@Waddizzle do you speak for Canon. Your replies seem irrelevant to the original issue, which is resolved now we know how toggle the setting off. I have nothing to get over. I found your remarks rude, but I’m already over that.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements