cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect App removes GPS location info when transferring pictures

jjemil808
Apprentice

Camera: Canon PowerShot SX620 HS

Canon Camera Connect App: Android 2.4.30.14 (build 1034) and iPad iOS 2.4.31.16 (build 1048)

After setting the Canon Camera Connect App to record location and taking pictures with my PowerShot, the GPS location info is successfully added to the pictures when I resync.

But, after that when I use Camera Connect to transfer the pictures from the Camera to my Galaxy S8 or iPad, I go to the picures on my Galaxy S8 or iPad and GPS location info is gone from the pictures.

This issue has been reported before on an older thread:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Camera-Connect-App-User-Guide/td-p/148802/page/9

Thanks to that thread, I found out I have to remove the SD card from the camera and use an SD card adapter to transfer the pictures directly to my Galaxy S8 and iPad. This is not as convenient as transferring the pictures directly with the Camera Connect App, but at least the GPS location info is preverved when transferring the pictures with an SD card adapter.

This has been a known issue, when will this issue be fixed?

21 REPLIES 21

AmandaC
Contributor

@jjemil808 wrote:

Camera: Canon PowerShot SX620 HS

Canon Camera Connect App: Android 2.4.30.14 (build 1034) and iPad iOS 2.4.31.16 (build 1048)

After setting the Canon Camera Connect App to record location and taking pictures with my PowerShot, the GPS location info is successfully added to the pictures when I resync.

But, after that when I use Camera Connect to transfer the pictures from the Camera to my Galaxy S8 or iPad, I go to the picures on my Galaxy S8 or iPad and GPS location info is gone from the pictures.

This issue has been reported before on an older thread:

https://freejobalert.vip/ https://gimp.software/ https://notepad.software/

Thanks to that thread, I found out I have to remove the SD card from the camera and use an SD card adapter to transfer the pictures directly to my Galaxy S8 and iPad. This is not as convenient as transferring the pictures directly with the Camera Connect App, but at least the GPS location info is preverved when transferring the pictures with an SD card adapter.

This has been a known issue, when will this issue be fixed?

I am also facing the same and cant find why is so. Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Amanda

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
On DSLRs the GPS must be turned on and the logger must be enabled when transferring the files.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Hello jjemil808, 

We thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have tested this ourselves in house and can confirm the functionality of the application that you are seeing. This may be due to a change in programming within the last few releases. We sincerely apologize for the trouble and while we don't currently have a suggested resolution, we have escalated the issue to our development team for review and hope to have the feature updated in future releases.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Fix this ASAP, I have only just bought SX720 because of the ability to geotag images and send them wirelessly. Only to find it doesn’t work as promised.

This was confirmed as a problem back in July of this year. It is now November and although there have been a number of updates to Camera Connect since July, the issue has not yet been resolved. Is there any indication of when it will finally be fixed? It is a continuing agrevation for me and, I'm sure, many other users.

PLEASE ... I wish to use this facility as it was advertised when I bought the Camera, the app, has had 2 updates, but still I am waiting. Should I raise a claim about misleading advertising to ASA. (advertising Standards Association in UK).

I did that with a Sony TV and Won the case...

Hello!

We're so sorry for the extended delay while we worked on getting this right!

Here's how to keep the location information when exporting images via Wi-Fi:

1) Start the Canon Connect App and establish a Wi-Fi connection with your camera. 

2) Select "Image on Camera" 

step 2.PNG

3) Select "Setting"

step 3.PNG

4) Select "Delete Location Information" 

step 4.PNG

5) Default setting should be "Delete" 

step 5.PNG

6) Select "Don't Delete" and click "Ok" 

step 6.PNG

We hope this helps! If you have any questions our support team is happy to go through this step by step. They can be reached at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET, excluding holidays.

Yes, that works. Thank you.

One question though; under the assumption that people adding location info to their photos do so because they specifically want it, why in the world would the default setting in the app be to NOT include location info during a transfer?

Hi!

This is working for JPGs but if I try and transfer RAW images across from my EOS R to my iPad, the location info is still removed, even if I have it set to not delete location data.

So I have the choice of trasfering images with the location data or RAW images, but not both. Is this expected?

Announcements