cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect App - Underexposed Pictures

Chujoj
Apprentice

Hi.

I wanted to shoot some Xmas pictures and prepared everything for the shoot with my G7X MK I.

Last step was to set up the Camera Connect. And then I noticed that the pictures made remotly from the App are underexposed in comparison to the ones shot by pressig the shutter. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

All the settings are the same since I am shooting in manual.

Hope someone can help.

Kr 

Chujoj

I attached the two pictures

IMG_1151.JPGIMG_1152.JPG

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Doesn't look underexposed to me. Do you have exposure compensation turned on anywhere?

Chujoj
Apprentice
Look at the tree. It is quite dark in comparison. No I don't use compensation.
The settings should be saved in the images.

I loaded both in apperture. They are the same. And I'm shooting in manual. So in theory nothing should change?

Are the resolutions the same? The second one looks like it has less quality.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@Chujoj wrote:

I loaded both in apperture. They are the same. And I'm shooting in manual. So in theory nothing should change?

The camera has only so much dynamic range.  Enjoy your camera.

There is nothing wrong with your camera, nor these images.  Stick to the default metering mode, Evaluative Metering Mode.  There is very little need to experiment with the metering setting.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Chujoj wrote:

The photos are not the same.  The lighter one is shot Manual, and it has "Shadow Correct" turned on. 

IMG_1151_EXIF.PNGIMG_1152_EXIF.PNG

The darker one is shot in Program AE mode, and "Shadow Correct" is not listed in the EXIF, which I would assume means it is not being used.  There is nothing with your camera, nor the software.  Happy New Year.

Chujoj
Apprentice
I will check that. But I don't think so. The camera is on a tripod and the only change is that I shot the second one with the app.

@Chujoj wrote:
I will check that. But I don't think so. The camera is on a tripod and the only change is that I shot the second one with the app.

There is nothing wrong with the camera.  What you are seeing could be artificial light flicker.

@Chujoj wrote:

I don't use the app so I'm not sure but it's reasonable to assume that there would be an option to have the results saved in a reduced resolution (either in megapixels and/or compression), perhaps to save bandwidth.  That would be one of the first checks I'd make to eliminate to get to the root cause.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Chujoj
Apprentice
I didn't say there was something wrong with the camera. The app does something wrong.
It is not flicker. It must be a something in the software since I can replicate it! So you are wrong
Announcements