cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1DXmkii Lightroom 4 compatibility.

filmfallon
Contributor

Hello everyone!

So I'm on a trip in India with my 1dxmkii and my old macbook running lightroom 4 on Yosemite 10.10.5.

When I try to import my CR2 files I get a message saying that the format is not supported and I cannot update my OS to allow a newer version of lightroom (Or at least not lightroom 6 which I know suports the format) so I'm not quite sure how I can bring them into lightroom at all.

Now I normally edit on my imac back home but I'm kind of stuck with this laptop for the duration of my travels (3 months) and would hate to have to wait till I was back home to start on them.

Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try the DNG Converter.  It is free from Adobe.

IMHO, if you can afford a 1DX Mk II, you can afford and you need the most current LR. Your top of the line camera can not shine with a second class editor or less than the best gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

filmfallon
Contributor
I agree, but the problem is that LR6 will not run on this Mac because it’s a 32bit system and this is the latest OS I can download.

Do you know which DMG converter will run on Yosemite 10.10.5 and will convert the 1DX CR2 files?

"Do you know which DMG converter will run on Yosemite 10.10.5 and will convert the 1DX CR2 files?"

I am not a Mac user so I don't know but I think there is only one DNG Converter. I don't have a 1DX Mk II. I have the 1DX and I use Windows.  DNG runs fine on it.

I think you are still missing my main most point.  If you spend the coin on a 1DX Mk II, a top of the mark, $5500 camera, why are you not feeding it the best of the best? You need the latest LR and if you need a machine that runs it, buy one. Sorry if that is blunt but it only makes sense. If the 1DX2 was a stretch for the budget, I understand totally been there, you should have bought a 5D Mk IV or a 6D Mk II. It is good photographic logic to keep all your gear substantially equal.

BTW, being a beta tester for another software company, I urge you to buy a WIndows machine when you upgrade.  Much fewer frustrations and problems. Besides they are cheaper!

EB

filmfallon
Contributor

Thankyou for the reply but I’m not missing the point at all.

I’ve already told you I have a top of the line iMac at home which I run a company from. This processes all the images and video files from the 1DX Mkii perfectly. THIS IS A TRIP I’m taking round India and therefore I brought my old MacBook round with me to handle the editing of these images. I used to use this MacBook to edit my images from my old 5Dmkii and didn’t think there would be a problem but now I've found out there is because the 1DX CR2 files are such a new format.

Thankyou for your reply anyway but I downloaded the latest version of the dng converter (not sure if anyone has ever been to India but the internet speeds aren’t fantastic) and it says it won’t run on my old MacBooks OS so If anybody else knows which older version will run on it please let me know.

* Update. Staying up all night has lead me to beleive that the latest version of the DNG convertor I can download and run on this computer is version 9.12 and this does not support the 1DX CR2's (Found this out by going backwards chroniologically and trying to install each version till I found a compatible version). So apart from shooting everything in JPEG to edit now or saving all my editing till I get home in three months, can anyone think of a solution to how I can edit my raw pictures?

Download Canon Digital Photo Professional. Do some initial editing in it (if you want) and then convert to a TIFF which LR will open. Or do no editing in DPP and just convert to a TIFF and then edit in LR.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

" I brought my old MacBook round with me to handle the editing ..."

OK we will belay the point of keeping ALL your gear substantially equal and deal with the current situation. Keep in mind if you go the DPP4 route and convert to tiff you will need a huge amount of storage space. Tiff files are enormous especially if you save 16 bit which you should. I would also recommend you save the original Raw file, too. Thus, increasing the storage space required. The color gamut is still better in a Canon cr2 file as is most of the other editing specs. Raw remains king.

Sounds like this may be the answer for you now though.  Good luck.

EB

Yea I guess in retrospect I could have used this money on a new laptop or lens and stayed at home with them, but I decided to spend the money on this trip as I haven't had a holiday in 5 years. This does sound like it's an option for now though. At least DPP allows me to preview the pictures and sort them in some respect.

Thanks very much for your help guys!

I have no desire to add to the OP's misery, but there's an important lesson to be learned here: Never put yourself in a new situation without first testing the hardware and software you'll be using. Assumptions that everything will work out as planned are often wrong. Believe me; I speak from experience.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ditto ! 

EB
Announcements