cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot apply Dust Delete Data in DPP?

lindyk8
Apprentice

Hi, I recorded the Dust Delete Data on my Canon EOS Rebel T6 today prior to taking a bunch of pictures.  The camera said "Data Obtained,"  so I figured it was good.  

When I got home and opened the photos in DPP, the program says that it "cannot apply Dust Delete Data to images."  What am I doing wrong? 

I have tried to edit one of the photos using the spot tool to remove dark dust spots, figuring I could copy the recipe to the other photos, since the dust spots are in the same place on each photo.  This is not working either.  It will let me copy an area and paste it over the spot, but it won't let me get rid of the spots without doing that. 

I am fairly new at this and probably missing something very obvious, but any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

8 REPLIES 8

In DPP 4.5.20 the buttons to remove spots are labelled "Repair (Light)" and "Repair (Dark)".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, I tried the dark one to remove spots in the sky on a photo, and nothing happened.  The spots remained. 

@lindyk8 wrote:

Yes, I tried the dark one to remove spots in the sky on a photo, and nothing happened.  The spots remained. 

That can mean that there's not enough contrast between the spot and the background. Sometimes adjusting the diameter of the circle can help.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Here's an article from the Canon Digital Learning Center that might help.

John Paul Caponigro's "Sensor Dust"

Thank you all for the information and suggestions.  It turns out that I did shoot the images in JPEG rather than RAW.  I will change that for next time. 

The contrast between the sky and the spots is minimal, so I will adjust the tool circle as well when editing.

Finally, that article has a  wealth of information!  Thanks for sharing.

So happy I found this site and board with such helpful people!

I have the same issue as original poster. I captured dust delete data successfully on my Canon T5i and then attempted to apply it in DPP, but after processing it said, "Cannot apply Dust Delete Data..." to the photo. I shot in RAW. Of course I can take it out manually, but am wondering why the dust delete data didn't work or couldn't be applied.

Here's an article from the Canon Digital Learning Center that might help.

John Paul Caponigro's "Sensor Dust"

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@lindyk8 wrote:

Hi, I recorded the Dust Delete Data on my Canon EOS Rebel T6 today prior to taking a bunch of pictures.  The camera said "Data Obtained,"  so I figured it was good.  

When I got home and opened the photos in DPP, the program says that it "cannot apply Dust Delete Data to images."  What am I doing wrong? 

I have tried to edit one of the photos using the spot tool to remove dark dust spots, figuring I could copy the recipe to the other photos, since the dust spots are in the same place on each photo.  This is not working either.  It will let me copy an area and paste it over the spot, but it won't let me get rid of the spots without doing that. 

I am fairly new at this and probably missing something very obvious, but any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Did you shoot in RAW or JPG?

For maximum flexibility you need to shoot in RAW.

Announcements