cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon Connect for Android REQUIRES location data?

F7
Apprentice

Each time I start the app on my phone I receive a message stating that the app requires location permission to connect via Bluetooth.  Why?  Why does the software need to know where I am when a photo or video is taken?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@F7 wrote:

Each time I start the app on my phone I receive a message stating that the app requires location permission to connect via Bluetooth.  Why?  Why does the software need to know where I am when a photo or video is taken?

Why?  I really have no idea why the app is asking for permission to access your location data.

But, I will point out that different countries around the world have different rules and laws governing wireless data communications.  For example, not every country uses the same set of radio frequencies for wireless communications.

There are also sites where operating wireless devices, like smart phones, are prohibited.  These sites are typically “secure locations” such as within hospitals, court houses, etc.

Again, I have no idea why the app is requesting your location data.  But, I can see why it might need to know your location in order to function properly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

F7,

Canon Connect provides the following:

This application also provides the following features for compatible cameras.
・Acquire location information from a smartphone and add it to the images on the camera.
・Switch to a Wi-Fi connection from pairing status with a Bluetooth enabled camera (or from touch operation with an NFC enabled camera)
・Remote release of the camera shutter with a Bluetooth connection. 

Apps for Android (Google Play) as well as the App Store (iTunes) routinely, gather, track and/or request access to serives and features on mobile devces they may or may not need to function. 

You can modify App Permissions for individual apps as needed, but the app may not function or operate as the developer intended if you do so. 

If these permissions are denied, you may receive a prompt each time you start it, if the app is expecting this default level of access. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements