cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't view RAW pic thumbnails for 6D M2 in Windows 10

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

For the past 4 years I have had no problem viewing RAW thumbnails from my Canon 70D using Windows 10 Explorer and Photo App but when I recently got a 6D Mark 2, I can't view any of the RAW thumbnails taken by that camera using Windows 10 (Photo App or Explorer). I upgraded my Photoshop Elements to 2018 and can at least open the new RAW files but can't see what they are unless I use Organizer which I have never had to do and hope I won't have to. It's so much easier to look through my pictures by opening Windows!  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Wandalynnwrote:

Thank you for your response. Yes, I installed DPP and yes, it did allow me to view my photos until I figured out something better. Sorry to say it's pretty useless software IMO--I can't even move through my pictures without closing one and opening the next--try that with about 200 pictures...LOL. Now that I've upgraded my Photoshop Elements to 2018 I can at least view and edit my RAW images but I never have liked PSE Organizer just for viewing. Still, my goal is to use Windows Explorer to view thumbnails (when I had this problem with my 70D, I was using Windows 7 and could update the codec). My workaround now is to take pictures in RAW+lowest quality JPG until something better comes along.

There are several ways to view multiple pictures in DPP. Don't blame the software for the fact that you haven'r learned how to use it yet.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Did you install the new version of DPP that came with the camera? EVERY new camera has a new version of the CR2 file format compared to your older versions.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Had this conversation with someone a couple of weeks ago.  .CR2 (2nd gen) files are not natively supported in Windows 10.  You have to use DPP or other app to view files.  They wll not display in explorer, photos, etc.  I suspect MS will eventually incorporate this support.

Here is what is currently supported natively (Canon prodcts)

Canon: Digital Rebel XT, Digital Rebel XTi, EOS 1DC, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 30D, EOS 40D, EOS 50D Digital, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da, EOS 70D, EOS 100D, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, EOS 400D, EOS 450D, EOS 500D, EOS 550D, EOS 600D, EOS 650D, EOS 700D, EOS 1000D, EOS1100D, EOS 5D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 7D Digital, EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS Digital Rebel, EOS Kiss Digital, EOS Kiss Digital N, EOS Kiss Digital X, EOS Kiss F, EOS Kiss X2, EOS Kiss X3, EOS Kiss X4, EOS Kiss X5, EOS Kiss X6i, EOS Kiss X7, EOS Kiss X7i, EOS Kiss X50, EOS M, EOS Rebel SL1, EOS Rebel T1i, EOS Rebel T2i, EOS Rebel T3, EOS Rebel T3i, EOS Rebel T4i, EOS Rebel T5i , EOS Rebel XS, EOS Rebel XSi, EOS-1D, EOS-1D X, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark III, PowerShot G1 X, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G6, PowerShot G9, PowerShot G10, PowerShot G11, PowerShot G12, PowerShot G15, PowerShot Pro1, PowerShot S90, PowerShot S95, PowerShot S100, PowerShot S100V, PowerShot S110, PowerShot SX1 IS, PowerShot SX50 HS

This is the codec pack - expand the details

Thread

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsportsshadowsports wrote:

Had this conversation with someone a couple of weeks ago.  .CR2 (2nd gen) files are not natively supported in Windows 10.  You hve to use DPP or other app to view files.  They wll not display in explorer, photos, etc.  I suspect MS will eventually incorporate this support.

Here is what is currently supported natively (Canon prodcts)

Canon: Digital Rebel XT, Digital Rebel XTi, EOS 1DC, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 30D, EOS 40D, EOS 50D Digital, EOS 60D, EOS 60Da, EOS 70D, EOS 100D, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, EOS 400D, EOS 450D, EOS 500D, EOS 550D, EOS 600D, EOS 650D, EOS 700D, EOS 1000D, EOS1100D, EOS 5D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 7D Digital, EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS Digital Rebel, EOS Kiss Digital, EOS Kiss Digital N, EOS Kiss Digital X, EOS Kiss F, EOS Kiss X2, EOS Kiss X3, EOS Kiss X4, EOS Kiss X5, EOS Kiss X6i, EOS Kiss X7, EOS Kiss X7i, EOS Kiss X50, EOS M, EOS Rebel SL1, EOS Rebel T1i, EOS Rebel T2i, EOS Rebel T3, EOS Rebel T3i, EOS Rebel T4i, EOS Rebel T5i , EOS Rebel XS, EOS Rebel XSi, EOS-1D, EOS-1D X, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark III, PowerShot G1 X, PowerShot G2, PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, PowerShot G6, PowerShot G9, PowerShot G10, PowerShot G11, PowerShot G12, PowerShot G15, PowerShot Pro1, PowerShot S90, PowerShot S95, PowerShot S100, PowerShot S100V, PowerShot S110, PowerShot SX1 IS, PowerShot SX50 HS

This is the codec pack - expand the details

Thread

Someone (Canon, preferably) should write software to convert earlier .CR2 files to the latest format. This would allow us to have some confidence that older files will not fall off the back edge of what Canon supports and become unreadable.

Note that this is not an idle concern. I've already encountered cases where .JPG files written by earlier versions of DPP or by other editors that Canon used to distribute with their cameras, can no longer be read by DPP. So far, I don't believe I've seen that with older .CR2 files, but I suspect that it's only a matter of time.

Bob

Thank you for your response. Yes, I installed DPP and yes, it did allow me to view my photos until I figured out something better. Sorry to say it's pretty useless software IMO--I can't even move through my pictures without closing one and opening the next--try that with about 200 pictures...LOL. Now that I've upgraded my Photoshop Elements to 2018 I can at least view and edit my RAW images but I never have liked PSE Organizer just for viewing. Still, my goal is to use Windows Explorer to view thumbnails (when I had this problem with my 70D, I was using Windows 7 and could update the codec). My workaround now is to take pictures in RAW+lowest quality JPG until something better comes along.

@Wandalynnwrote:

There are several ways to view multiple pictures in DPP. Don't blame the software for the fact that you haven'r learned how to use it yet.

Bob

gojiradam
Apprentice

I found a very COOL solution!

I just want to see the files while I'm browsing the images.. edit them later.
So you can install QUICK LOOK!
And then hit SPACE ! It's a quick view, like mac have! so cool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/quicklook/9nv4bs3l1h4s?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0&activetab=pivot:...

Announcements