cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit photos in DPP 4

miazempalmas
Apprentice

Hello!

I recently got a Canon 80D, and not long ago I found out about DPP.

I tried to edit an image, but I can't access the brightness editing, white balance or the advanced section. 

Would that be because this is a .jpeg file instead of a RAW file?

I've got the newest version of DPP.

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 12.03.32 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the window you use to edit JPEGs is two tabs to the right of the one you use to edit RAW files.

Shoot in RAW, however. The adjustments for RAW files are much more complete and accurate than those available for JPEGs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Yes, the window you use to edit JPEGs is two tabs to the right of the one you use to edit RAW files.

Shoot in RAW, however. The adjustments for RAW files are much more complete and accurate than those available for JPEGs.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi I am using Lightroom to store all of my RAW cr2 files. 

I am guessing I have a preference set incorrectly to bring the cr2 from the lightroom library to the canon software when I select edit in? Could you please help me?

I would like to have lightroom send the RAW to the Canon software. 

THank you

Can you elaborate on the tab we're supposed to use when editing a JPEG? is there a way I can change my photos to something other than JPEG so I can all of the filtering options?

See the screenshot below:

2018-11-28.png

JPEG editing uses the tab in the middle of the bottom row.

You can't convert the JPEG to RAW (which what the filtering options in DPP is for).

If you aren't doing it already, going forward I recommend you shoot RAW. DPP will open your files just like JPEg and all your editing tools are available.

You can download the DPP manual from here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

DPP4 will allow only limited editing options for JPEG files. To get the most benefit from all the DPP4 editing functions you need to set your Canon camera to shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG formats. There's a learning curve to post processing RAW files. But it's not too steep and the results tend to be worth the effort.

You can convert RAW files to JPEGs, but you can't convert the JPEGs into RAW.

I hope someone can help me.  I see Robert says use the tab two to the right.  WHAT tab?  I've clicked on everything and can't change my screen.  It looks exactly like the previous writer's screen, but all the controls are greyed out.  I'm new, but I thought I was shooting in RAW.  I can't edit anything in ddp4.  Please help me.

@gigi12canon wrote:

I hope someone can help me.  I see Robert says use the tab two to the right.  WHAT tab?  I've clicked on everything and can't change my screen.  It looks exactly like the previous writer's screen, but all the controls are greyed out.  I'm new, but I thought I was shooting in RAW.  I can't edit anything in ddp4.  Please help me.

Refer to the previous screen shot posted by jrhoffman. Look to the right of the large image that's displayed and there's a column of tools and a histogram is shown at the top of that column. Just below the histogram are 9 tabs that let you access different groups of editing tools. Depending on whether you have a jpeg or a RAW file open certain specific tools may or may not be greyed-out.

To get the biggest editing advantage with DPP4 make sure your camera is set to shoot full-sized RAW or RAW+jpeg files.

When I saw your solution I did a forehead slap and said "doh! of course!" Thanks for posting your solution without being condescending!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

See here:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/canon_software/dpp_video_tutorials.do

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements