cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install Canon Software on my mac

MaryamDeSoto
Contributor

Hello

I recently bought an EOS Canon Rebel T6 and it's been imposible to install any of canon softwares to my mac. I went to canon's support page and tried to install the latest updates and that didn't work either. 

What happens to me is after I launch the installation a box appears saying extracting files, after that nothing happens. 

Can someone help me with this?

I have OSX El Capitan.

Without this I can't use my camera's wifi option cause there's no way to sync my camera without having canon's softwares install on my computer.

16 REPLIES 16

I resolved the problem on my MacBook Pro running Mojave by creating a new administrative user, logging in as that new user, and then doing the install(s).  The software was then available when I logged back in as my normal user.

noahi
Apprentice

I'm experiening the same issue on MacOS 10.14 Mojave. Download goes fine, archive opens a disk image. I clik on the installer.app and get a warning about running files from that image. I conintue, a progress bar show Extracting Files... and then nothing. 

Hi there,

It sounds like something may be preventing the installation from completing. First, confirm you are the root (administrator) user on your Mac, then be sure to move the extracted/unzipped folder from your downloads onto your desktop to remove any restrictions that may be specific to your computer's download folder, check any antivirus software to make sure it is not affecting the Canon software, then restart your computer and try the installation once more.

I am an admin user, and the installation was failing from the disk images step, not opening from the download folders. I don't run any anti virus software.

I ended up creating another admin account to install the files, and that worked. Photo Pro and Picture Style Editor are there.

However, the ImageTransferUtility.app won't open. I double click it and... nothing happens.

Hi Noahi,

The Image Transfer Utility is not used with the newer Mac operating systems, but the new image.canon service can be used to upload images wirelessly to your image.canon account and then downloaded onto your computer.

You can set that up at www.image.canon and begin by selecting your camera model near the bottom of the page.

Yeah, i just found that's the work around. I upload from my M50, through my wifi, once there, I can download to my computer (or cloud drives, or edit through LIghtroom...Apparently the Canon Image Transfer won't work on up to day Mac Systems. I have BigSur 11.7, which won't allow the installer to work, or the Image Transfer to work. Image Transfer DID work through this time last year however. Recent system upgrades must have disabled it. Thanks

noahi
Apprentice
I’d much rather skip the cloud and move the files wirelessly to my laptop. Is there any way to do that?
Announcements