cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Edit White Balance...etc in DPP 4.5

playinglife
Apprentice

I *just* got my EOS Rebel T6 today. Google has not helped me figure out this problem. I'm sure it's something stupid simple, but I haven't found an answer.

I can crop and mess around with the color adjustments, but I cannot edit white balance, contrast, shadow, highlight....etc in DPP 4.5

I'm running windows 10 and don't have any other issues with the software. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

There is a drop down menu under white balance and picture styles, but it's not active. It's stuck on (shot settings.)

I'm attaching a screen cap. Any help is appreciated! I'm going a bit crazy here.

dpp.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The menu that you're in is intended for editing of RAW (.CR2) files. If you're editing a .JPG file, you need to be in the menu two tabs to the right (the icon that looks a bit like a graph). If that is what you're doing, and if you go to that menu, you'll probably start to see why we invariably recommend to the participants in this forum that they always shoot in RAW mode.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Having the same problem.  Please don't instruct me to shoot RAW, I'm colorblind and the camera does a far better job with such things as white balance than I could.  However, I would like to be able to convert a JPEG to black and white in DPP 4.  Is this possible.  I can't seem to make the adjustment in "Picture Style" in the tool palate--that menu seems to be disabled. 

@jsfarnsw wrote:

Having the same problem.  Please don't instruct me to shoot RAW, I'm colorblind and the camera does a far better job with such things as white balance than I could.  However, I would like to be able to convert a JPEG to black and white in DPP 4.  Is this possible.  I can't seem to make the adjustment in "Picture Style" in the tool palate--that menu seems to be disabled. 

You would normally use "Picture Style" to make a photo "Black and White".  This adjustment is not available in DPP for JPEG files, only RAW files.

Alternatively, the color level adjustment thumbnail has a "monochrome" button, which removes all of the color from your photo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jsfarnsw wrote:

Forgive me, but you're missing the point. If you shoot in RAW, you can automatically (or manually) apply the exact same color balance that the camera would apply if you were shooting JPEG. But you would then also be able to apply the "Monochrome" picture style to the RAW file, which you would then be free to convert to JPEG.

Bob

Thank you for your quick response--can't believe I missed the monocrome button.

As far as missing the point, my point is that the camera routinely makes better processing decisions than I would.  Imagine not being able to percieve chromatic abberation, and not being able to correct white balance.  Imagine adjusting the tone saturation and not being able to see the difference between the original and the more vivid version. If I did it your way, I'd have to post-process every shot to get a jpeg version that the camera can do for me automatically. Why bother? I've certainly got better ways to spend my time than that. 

The only reason I take color photographs at all is because I use them for my lectures and for occasional publications.  As it was, my publisher wanted a black-and-white photo of me for the back cover of my next book. Now I have one, and I thank you for that. 

jsfarnsw wrote:

Thank you for your quick response--can't believe I missed the monocrome button.

As far as missing the point, my point is that the camera routinely makes better processing decisions than I would.  Imagine not being able to percieve chromatic abberation, and not being able to correct white balance.  Imagine adjusting the tone saturation and not being able to see the difference between the original and the more vivid version. If I did it your way, I'd have to post-process every shot to get a jpeg version that the camera can do for me automatically. Why bother? I've certainly got better ways to spend my time than that. 

The only reason I take color photographs at all is because I use them for my lectures and for occasional publications.  As it was, my publisher wanted a black-and-white photo of me for the back cover of my next book. Now I have one, and I thank you for that. 

All the camera can do is to calculate a white balance setting that it determines from the lighting conditions it thinks it sees ("automatic white balance"). If you're shooting in JPEG, the camera applies that setting to the resulting image. It's part of the image file and can't be easily changed or removed. If you're shooting in RAW, the same calculation results in the same white balance adjustment; the only difference is that it isn't actually applied until DPP converts the RAW image to a JPEG. So unless you deliberately modify the white balance in post-processing, the two JPEGs, the one created by the camera and the one created by DPP, will look the same. So the argument that you prefer not to shoot in RAW because you like the way the camera handles the white balance in JPEG, is meaningless. And if you shoot in RAW, you can, in post-processing, apply an alternative picture style (e.g., Monochrome) to the JPEG image without losing any of the original color information.

I'm not trying to get you to change your workflow or your white balance preferences. I'm just pointing out that shooting in JPEG doesn't confer any special advantage over shooting in RAW (except, of course, that you don't have to convert to JPEG as a separate step). So if there's another reason to shoot in RAW = adjusting the brightness, for example, or changing the picture style - you don't need to avoid doing so.

Bob

thanks ..had same prob
Announcements