cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera list is not complete

vadalus
Enthusiast
For example my Canon 1300d works totally fine

Suggest people try their camera anyway..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vadalus
Enthusiast
I think it’s pretty obvious that you’re using a pretty specific definition of ‘webcam’. Do a search on amazon and the top results by far are for devices which capture both audio and video in a single unit (Logitech BRIO being an excellent example). You are of course welcome to use your own specific definition but telling people they don’t understand things because they don’t use your esoteric definition is a bit churlish. Anyway thanks for the responses, always appreciated.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ray-uk
Whiz

It would be nice to know what software you are talking about.

vadalus
Enthusiast
So sorry this should have been posted in the Mac webcam utility topic. That will Teach me to try and post from my iPhone.

The list is complete and accurate.  The Webcam Utility was released by CanonUSA for camera models that are sold by CanonUSA.  Your camera model is not sold by CanonUSA, so I doubt if it will ever be listed by CanonUSA.

BTW, I believe your camera is roughly equivalent to the Rebel T6, which is listed as being supported on the list.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

vadalus
Enthusiast
Gotcha. Thanks for the update. You know if they plan to add sound support? I also have a EOS 90D and I would be good to use the RODE microphone I have attached.

@vadalus wrote:
Gotcha. Thanks for the update. You know if they plan to add sound support? I also have a EOS 90D and I would be good to use the RODE microphone I have attached.

I have no idea if CanonUSA plans to add audio support for the internal microphone.  I doubt it, because that is not how web streaming actually works.  The audio device and video device are seen by streaming apps as totally separate devices.

vadalus
Enthusiast
Ok but there’s never been a webcam which doesn’t have a mic! I guess I’ll need to use camlink which most people seem to use anyway

@vadalus wrote:
Ok but there’s never been a webcam which doesn’t have a mic! I guess I’ll need to use camlink which most people seem to use anyway

I have a dash cam that can double as a web cam.  It does not have audio.  I plug a wireless lalpel microphone into the mic jack on my PC to capture audio.  I have been using Skype like this for nearly 15 years.  A lapel works MUCH better than a mic that is a few feet away, picking up a ton of background noise.

Like I said above, I do not think that you fully understand exactly how web streaming actually works.

vadalus
Enthusiast
Why are you fixated on whether I ‘understand’ web streaming. That’s not even an exactly defined term. Sending a stream over ‘the web’ usually consists of video and audio and people use various solutions. When DSLR’s are involved there’s numerous mechanisms for capturing Audio. Could be separately connected to the host computer or can be sourced from the camera via an attached mic. The briefest of searches on the web will show people using it like this. When used like this people use camlink to capture video and optionally audio. I wanted to know whether this ‘webcam’ utility allows me to replace my camlink. It doesn’t. As I said thanks for the replies and no other comments about whatever your definition of ‘web streaming’ is at all necessary. Have a good day.

@vadalus wrote:
Why are you fixated on whether I ‘understand’ web streaming.

That’s not even an exactly defined term. Sending a stream over ‘the web’ usually consists of video and audio and people use various solutions. When DSLR’s are involved there’s numerous mechanisms for capturing Audio. Could be separately connected to the host computer or can be sourced from the camera via an attached mic. The briefest of searches on the web will show people using it like this. When used like this people use camlink to capture video and optionally audio. I wanted to know whether this ‘webcam’ utility allows me to replace my camlink. It doesn’t. As I said thanks for the replies and no other comments about whatever your definition of ‘web streaming’ is at all necessary. Have a good day.

I'm not.  You claimed that there has never been a web cam without audio.  That is patently false.  Sorry, for poiningt that out.

Your example above, claiming that web streaming consists of both video and audio only proves my point.  The actual CAPTURE of video and audio data has nothing to do with the web or internet.  Have a nice day.  

I am glad to see that you have realized that capturing audio and video do not have to be locked into the same physical device. Please continue, and carry on with your web searches.  I am sorry to have been a problem for you.

Announcements