cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect on iOS stops logging location information without any notice.

bartdelva
Contributor

Hi

I have a Canon G7X MK II which I love.

But I would love to add geo info to my pictures. I did install the Camera Conect app on my iPhone 6, and I did get the communication between G7X and App working without a problem.

Now when I start the geo logging through the App: Location Information -> Begin Logging. The 'Begin Logging' button changes to 'End Logging'. And it does work for a couple of hours ... When I connect the camera to the iPhone and I use the 'Send Location Information' the geo info is added to my pictures.

However, I notice that after longer times of logging (I guess 4 hours or so), when re opening the App (by tapping the Camera Connect App, or by double tapping Home Button and opening the already opened and still active App, I see the App re-loading (splashscreen showing the Canon Camera Connect, again) and the location infomation logging has stopped by itself ... It show again as 'Begin Logging'.

Very annoying !! When I will be using this feature I will be travelling and hence be away for hopefully way over 4 hours ... 

So is this expected behaviour or a bug ? 

I am running on a iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.2 and the latest App from Apple Store 1.3.10.21

Regards,

B

PS Wouldn't it be neat to have a export function as well to export all logging data to Google Maps for example ? 

11 REPLIES 11

I don't have, and have never used, an iPhone, so consider the source. But ...

It appears that iPhones have the ability to limit the time an app can run. It seems to be part of the phone's parental controls, but may be able to limit any app. So make sure you don't have something like that turned on or set to an unreasonably short timeout.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I don't have, and have never used, an iPhone, so consider the source. But ...

It appears that iPhones have the ability to limit the time an app can run. It seems to be part of the phone's parental controls, but may be able to limit any app. So make sure you don't have something like that turned on or set to an unreasonably short timeout.

Likewise, I don't have, and have never used, an iPhone, so consider the source. But ...

Either the camera or the phone could have also reached a limit on the number of files that can be processed at once, in a single folder, naming convention, or some other arbitrarily set limitation besides time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle

As I am tring this functionality before I leave on holiday, there were only appx 100 pictures on the camera, and as I am using a 16GB SD card, it is only 10% full. iPhone has room left as well.

Bart

@bartdelva wrote:

Hi Waddizzle

As I am tring this functionality before I leave on holiday, there were only appx 100 pictures on the camera, and as I am using a 16GB SD card, it is only 10% full. iPhone has room left as well.

Bart

I simply raised an issue that you're obviously still unaware of.  There are circumstances where your card can be 10% full, but because of limits imposed by file and folder naming conventions, the camera can be unable to save additional images to the card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Wadizzle,

In fact the app runs without any need for the camera itself ... It is supposed to log all geo info from the phone and save it on the phone. It does this very well, but stops after a couple of hours and is very unreliable. It is only when I do a manual connection between the phone and the camera, when geo info is added to the pictures on the camera, this works well, if the info is on the phone.

So in short the issue is the app itself that stops logging ! Nothing to do with the camera !

B

@bartdelva wrote:

Hi Wadizzle,

In fact the app runs without any need for the camera itself ... It is supposed to log all geo info from the phone and save it on the phone. It does this very well, but stops after a couple of hours and is very unreliable. It is only when I do a manual connection between the phone and the camera, when geo info is added to the pictures on the camera, this works well, if the info is on the phone.

So in short the issue is the app itself that stops logging ! Nothing to do with the camera !

B

Sounds like it could be a memory leak in the phone app. Restarting the app always cures the problem for a while, right?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,

Yes so it seems ... In fact if I go back to the app (that is running in the background) within 4 hours, the App just opens and I can see the fact that the app is still logging. But if I go back to the app after >4 hours, it seems the app is restarting and I need to restart the logging.

Unfiortunately, I cannot switch back to an older version of the App as the Apple store does not really allow to do so ...

Regards

Bart

Hi!
I have a problem with my GPSlogging with Canon camera connect since the last update. I have by the way an Apple Iphone 5c.

If i start logging and don´t use locked screen i get right gps for every photo but a soon as the screen locks i get the first startposition on the following photos. I have tried it on two different iphones with the same result. Reinstalled the app and also reset Location services on the iphone. Sadley enouht the support don´t have a clue ...how to help me.

Right now im using GeotagPhotos instead and it works perfect...even with the screen locked.

So....please help me if you can!

MR

Hi MR

I only checked on the photos if the geo info that gets added to the photos is there, not if the geo info is correct, I might have that problem as well ! DOes your app keeps active for longer periods, or does it also stop logging ?

How did you reach out to Canon support ? I did google how to install an older version of the app, but this seems a rather complex process which I did not find time for.

Can you be so kind to share a link of the app you are using for the tagging ? Is that geoTagPhotsPro ?

Regards

Bart

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements