cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect app creates thousands of empty albums

lt321
Apprentice

I use the Camera Connect iOS app to transfer photos from my 6D to my iPhone. In doing so, this app has created thousands of empty albums on my phone. Has this happened to anyone else, and do you know how to stop it? There's no way to mass delete albums on the iPhone so I don't know how I'll ever get rid of them.

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Someone complained about this a while back. I don't know if it got resolved.

Tim
Authority

lt321, 

There are some things that we would like to check.

First, in the iOS Wi-Fi settings

1. Go to Settings> Wi-Fi on the iOS device and touch the little blue "i" in a circle next to the camera's SSID (which should show connected, but may not).

2. Choose "Forget This Network".

3. Then, start from the beginning to re-establish a Wi-Fi connection between the iOS device and the camera.

The second part we would like to check is below.

At times, the Canon Camera Connect application for iOS may behave incorrectly when attempting to connect an iOS device to a camera via Wi-Fi. Deleting the app's saved state in the background can oftentimes correct this. This does not harm the app or the device and simply causes the app to launch with a default "state", which can eliminate many issues that prevent the app from connecting to the camera and performing correctly.

To delete the saved state for Canon Camera Connect, do one of the following:

On an iOS device with a Home Button (prior to the iPhone X):
Delete the app's saved state by double-clicking the home button, scroll through the saved states of the apps and find the Canon Camera Connect app, then swipe it up to delete it.
Re-launch the app.

On the iPhone X:

1. Swipe up from the bottom to the middle of your screen and hold until you see the App Switcher.

2. Swipe left or right to find the Camera Connect app.

3. Swipe up on the Camera Connect app to delete it's background saved state.

4. Re-launch the app.

NOTE: If the Canon Camera Connect app is not performing properly or the camera does not remain connected when attempting to connect with Canon Camera Connect, always attempt to delete the saved state of the app BEFORE uninstalling and re-installing the app and before doing a hard re-boot of the device. This should be troubleshooting step #1 when troubleshooting Canon Camera Connect.

We also recommended ensuring that your iOS device is updated to the latest version.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Unfortunately this doesn't fix the issue.

Even though i followed the procedure from Tim, i still get an extra empty album on my iphone created whenever i re-connect to my camera to shoot some pictures.

Is it so tricky to have the app check for the existence of the album before creating it again and again ? i literally have hundreds if not thousands of them on my phone. I only have my camera for 3 weeks, i've not connected that many times to my camera even.

genomebob, 

We are sorry that the issue seems to persist.  Given the extended issues that you have been having, we would recommend calling our Customer Care Center for live, step by step assistance.

Please call 1-800-652-2666 and follow the prompts for Technical Support. Our agents are available Monday through Friday, from 09:00 am to 09:00 pm and Saturdays from 09:00 am to 7:00 pm. All times EST, excluding holidays.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am still having this problem IN 2020!!! - how can it not be fixed yet in app updates?????

netvisionz
Apprentice
I’ve been having the same issue since last year. How difficult is this issue to fix and why do customers need to jump through hoops after spending thousands of dollars on a camera? You Camera Connect app is exhibiting behavior that you can easily duplicate in a lab by using a canon camera connecting it to the app and downloading photos over the course of a few days. Please fix it. You can’t honestly think that it’s a good look for your company. If you think it’s an Apple issue, work with them to resolve it ASAP.

bhavisavla
Apprentice
Hey guys!! I too faced this issue currently!! Tried many solutions but to no avail! Finally bumped into one accidentally and it resolved my issue and deleted all the empty folders that were created!
Heres what i did and found out:
1. Deleted all photos and videos in the shareit app.
2. Deleted shareit app from my iphone

Turns out I transferred photos using shareit and that created those folders. So if you follow the same might resolve the issue for you guys too!!

If this works for you do let me know! It will bring a smile on my face! 😊

bhavisavla
Apprentice
Check my comment

wwwXpert
Apprentice

I'm a freelance sports photographer and own a 1DX Mark II purchased in 2018 with the WiFi Adapter WFT-E8. This problem first arose in 2018 with the iOS Canon Camera Connect Mobile App. I take thousands of photos a day thinking that after spending $600+ on a Canon Wifi Adapter to streamline the transfer process directly to my iPhone while on assignment, I ended with a mess that goes unresolved by Canon. Customers end up with a separate photo album with the same name for every photo instead of one album containing all photos. I've read the responses from Canon and none have been acceptable from both a consumer and professional perspective.

When a company sells products and the software for the product damages property, they're ethically responsible for providing a viable and realistic solution. Nothing I've read from Canon is acceptable.  It's equivalent to a Canon virus that replicates itself repeatedly until all available space is gone.

Get Canon's IT engineering / mobility team to develop an iOS Mobile App that deletes all the empty photo albums.

Announcements