cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect App not working

Toodyt
Contributor
A month ago I got a new Apple 8 with IOS 12 on it.
I got it Connected to my EOS 70D and had it working.
It was not always connecting easily but it would connect.
Today while trying to download pictures on a holiday it won’t connect.
At first it Connected but only showed about 6 pictures.
When I selected a picture to view and download. After waiting a minute or 2. The picture was still blurry and could not download.
I tried reboot on phone and camera. This time it just showed black squares where the picture should be.
I have now deleted and tried everything but cannot get the App to connect to the camera.
When I go through the App setup I can assign the SSID and the camera shows the connection but stays on that page and never completed the configuration with the phone.
There was a recent update on my iPhone and there is a selection which leads me to believe there was an update to the app.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Toodyt
Contributor
Thank William!
I know when I was having a problem I did delete the App and reboot the phone.
I thought I had deleted the WiFi settings on the camera as well.
I did delete the App and reboot the phone.
Then I deleted the WiFi settings on the camera and rebooted it.
Installed the App and setup the WiFi connection on the camera.
It Connected as soon as I started the app and all is good!
Thanks again.

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66

koshka42
Contributor
Ok my card reader is working fine as it recognizes other cards but not this one, so now I’m positive it’s a card corruption - I just hope I can get the pix off it! FYI I never did any formatting of the card.

Interesting.  I still think there is more to it than that. I'll try it tonight also with switching cards.  However, I  can't imagine all the people having the same issue have corrupt cards.  

Keep me posted!

Thanks

patbob
Apprentice

I finally managed to get the NFC connect mode to work for the updated Camera Connect app (2.5.10.15 (build 1085)).. the problem seems to be a WiFi networking issue at the phone's end.

On the Android version of the app, it shows what WiFi network the phone is connected to.  I noticed that when I connected to my camera, it would temporarily show that it was connected to the camera's WiFi session ID, but then, almsot as soon as it'd done that, it would revert back to being connected to the previous WiFi network and the camera would thrown an error.

So.. I disabled autoconnect on my phone for the WiFi network I was connected to, and cycled the WiFi off and back on again on my phone to drop the WiFi connection but have WiFi enabled.  Once I did that, I could reliably connect to the Camera Connect app and control my camera from my phone.

So it seems like the app has been updated and no longer keeps the phone attached to the Camera's ad-hoc WiFi network, instead allowing it to reconnect back to an access point.

I know most of the people on this thread are having issues connecitng their iPhones, so it would be interesting if someone with an iPhone would attempt a similar set of steps and see if it works for them.

sarzdorf
Contributor
Awesome! I finally got mine to connect the other day as well.
I’m not exactly sure what it was though.
I just started having some other issues with my iPhone and updated to the newest iOS and now everything seems to connect just fine.

larrylato
Contributor

I'm getting some similar problems. Camera is an EOS6D, smartphone is new LG Android. The phone wi-fi finds the camera, connects, the camera screen says "Start the Smartphone App" but the app says "Not Connected". Tried uninstall, phone restart, and reinstall twice. Cleard camera settings twice as well. The phone wi-fi seems to connect with the camera, the camera seems to recognizeed the phone, but the app doesn't realize it's connected. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance.

flashgordon
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with connectivity with my iPhone and T7i.  It had worked fine previously but I've probably connected 100 times so far and every time it either says the connection failed or just drops off.  

I've spent literally hours on the phone with Canon tech support without any resolution.

It ocurred to me to try connecting to a different phone so I did that with the same result - failed! I initially thought it had to be the camera and in fact a Canon rep said I should send it in for repairs. After reading so many posts that others have similar problems though I decided that it can't be the camera.  

I then tried connecting to my computer and it worked flawlessly so the Camera's wifi/bluetooth transmitter must be fine.

I don't know what version IOS you're running but I have 13.3 and I think that may have someting to do with it.  For now, using Canon Camera Connect is not possible.

If you figure it out please share it with me and I'll be sure to do the same!

Never got it to work and I gave up. My phone is an Adroid. Basically this is how I see it, confirmed by what I see on You Tube How To videos. My camera and phone Wi-Fi are connecting, the moment I enter the encrytion key into my phone wi-fi login, simutaneously the phone shows connected and the camera screen changes to "Start the smartphone app". Problem is the app is supposed to bring up a prompt listing my camera and that never happens.

BTW, had assistance from Member Community on KelbyOne, they suggested stopping my Internet Security on my phone, tried that, still no change. Also, downloaded the Canon EOS Utility for my laptop, that connects and works fine. 

Canon app, it's a mystery, not worth the trouble.

flashgordon
Contributor

It seems to me that it must be a software conflict between the app and the opererating systems of some phones.  I'm hoping that Canon checks it out and if doable, fixes it.

I have had the same issue all day (able to connect but as soon as I open the app, it says not connected), and after playing around with the settings, I got it working. I have an iPhone XR iOS 13.3. Go to:

Wireless Communication Settings
WiFi Settings
NFC connection - select DISABLE

I noticed the default setting is Enable and so when I reset all the settings, it still wouldn't work.

I still can't get it to connect to my MacBook though!

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for the information.  I checked and disabled the NFC connection but it didn't solve the problem for me.  It connects easily enough as usual but as soon as you try to use any of the functions it just disconnects.

I can connect to my MacBook without issue and it operates fine.

Announcements