cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect App not working

Toodyt
Contributor
A month ago I got a new Apple 8 with IOS 12 on it.
I got it Connected to my EOS 70D and had it working.
It was not always connecting easily but it would connect.
Today while trying to download pictures on a holiday it won’t connect.
At first it Connected but only showed about 6 pictures.
When I selected a picture to view and download. After waiting a minute or 2. The picture was still blurry and could not download.
I tried reboot on phone and camera. This time it just showed black squares where the picture should be.
I have now deleted and tried everything but cannot get the App to connect to the camera.
When I go through the App setup I can assign the SSID and the camera shows the connection but stays on that page and never completed the configuration with the phone.
There was a recent update on my iPhone and there is a selection which leads me to believe there was an update to the app.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Toodyt
Contributor
Thank William!
I know when I was having a problem I did delete the App and reboot the phone.
I thought I had deleted the WiFi settings on the camera as well.
I did delete the App and reboot the phone.
Then I deleted the WiFi settings on the camera and rebooted it.
Installed the App and setup the WiFi connection on the camera.
It Connected as soon as I started the app and all is good!
Thanks again.

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66

Thanks for the suggestion. My Android OS does'nt show a (NFC) option. I had a few others that I tried with the settings but those options greyed out the (Connect) button.

daksina
Apprentice
@larrylato Sorry, I should have said that I changed those settings on the camera itself, not my phone or the app.

OK thanks for clarifying but I didn't see that option in the camera side either. I get (Easy Connect) and (Manual) options, tried manual and I don't recall seeing that but I'll look again. My camera is the original 6D, perhaps the WiFi firmware is different.

Jerry4bow
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem, that the wifi connects but the camera connect doesn't connect to the camera.  On Monday I used it without any trouble. Now on Thursday it won't work. I tried it with two different cameras and with my iPad and iPhone. Same result.   Deleted the app and reinstalled, booted the iPad, reset the wifi info on cameras. Nothing fixes the problem.  Hope someone can figure this out. I love using the camera remote option to take pictures of birds and to download to my iPad in the field to check out the photos. 

patbob
Apprentice
Was the difference between Monday and Thursday that you were in the field on Monday and you iPad wasn't already connected to a WiFi network, whereas Thursday you were someplace else and it was connected to a WiFi network? If so, that would be consistent with the solution that worked for me.

I was at home both times. The first time I was downloading pictures to my iPad. The second time I was trying to use my camera remote to take pictures of hummingbirds in my yard. But I also tried to get it to work in the house right where it worked on Monday. 

@Jerry4bow wrote:

I was at home both times. The first time I was downloading pictures to my iPad. The second time I was trying to use my camera remote to take pictures of hummingbirds in my yard. But I also tried to get it to work in the house right where it worked on Monday. 

It would help to know which camera you are using.  I think the problem is related to switching devices that you are connecting to.  You need separate Wi-Fi- setups in the camera for each device that you want to connect to.  You alwo need separate Wi-Fi setups for each wireless access point that you want to connect to.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The cameras are 70D and Power Shot SX730HS. Can you explain how I would go about setting up different WI-FI setups. Thanks

I finally got both cameras to connect. On the 70D I deleted all WI-FI settings. I then took the option to tell it which network to connect to. (Enter network name and password). It’s the same network that canon connect says it was connected to before, but this tome all connected properly. My SX730 has Bluetooth. So I used that to get it to connect. It connected to the WI-FI, but somehow the Bluetooth helped it to connect.

patbob
Apprentice
I don't know about @Jerry4bow, but in my case, it was with my 5D mk4 and my cell phone. It worked perfectly reliable until I updated the app (and possibly OS) on my phone, then this new behavior started. I was using an adhoc network between phone and camera. When it failed, I could see the phone app report that it had connected to the ad hoc network, then it would disconnect and reconnect to my home wifi and the camera would report that there was an error with the connection. If I first changed the setting on my phone for my home wifi so that the phone didn't automatically connect to it, then I could connect to the ad hoc network from the camera and everything worked. I switched the setting on my phone from autoconnect to manual connect back and forth several time to confirm that was the setting that was causing problems and got consistent results as stated.
I hadn't updated the firmware on my camera, so it had to be the app or OS on the phone, nothing else had changed.
I'd have tried installing the old version of the app, but Canon didn't make it available.
Announcements