cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aperture and Focus Points

Edward1064
Enthusiast

Apple's Aperture has the feature that, when turned on, allows you to see the focus point(s) in a photo.  I have noticed that this works when I use my 60D with a Canon EFS 18-200 mm lens, but not when I mounnt my Canon 100-400 L lens.  

I would like to hear if others hve seen this, and what, if possible can be done to fix it.  

Thanks,

Ed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Edward1064!

Thanks for posting.

You will need to contact Apple directly to see if they know why the focus points are not being displayed.  Our own software, Canon Digital Photo Professional, will display the focus point when you set it to, regardless of what lens was used on the camera.  The only reason you would not see a point of focus is if a focus lock was not achieved or manual focus was being used.  This is also something you may want to investigate.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Edward1064!

Thanks for posting.

You will need to contact Apple directly to see if they know why the focus points are not being displayed.  Our own software, Canon Digital Photo Professional, will display the focus point when you set it to, regardless of what lens was used on the camera.  The only reason you would not see a point of focus is if a focus lock was not achieved or manual focus was being used.  This is also something you may want to investigate.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, Mike.

Mike,

One more question. Could it be something with my 100-400 mm Canon lens? That said, I have a hard time thinking that the data for focus points are in the lens and not in the camera body.

Ed

Edward1064
Enthusiast

All,

It turns out that the information I originally presented was bogus.  The AF points not showing up in the editing files was NOT due to the 100-400 mm lens.  It was a beginner's mistake (mine) of not setting up the camera properly.

One of the Menu options on my 60D is to either "enable" of "disable" viewing of the AF point selection, something that is not really discussed in the manual.  It had been set to "disable" somehow, after being in the "enable" mode for a while after I purchased the camera.

Hopefully my experience will help others avoid my mistake.  

Ed

Announcements