cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AfterShot Pro 3 and RAW files

mangurian
Enthusiast

I really like the capabilities of Corel AfterShot Pro 3.  I have been unable to make it load Canon Raw (CR2) files.  Has anyone out there suceeded in doing that ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is not so much that the .CR2's are camera specific, just that you need to know info about the camera in order to interpret the RAW file. For example, It could be that a particular sensor's bayer array starts with a green pixel in the upper left corner, while another sensor starts with a blue pixel. You obviously have to know that in order to properly develop the RAW file.

If you *know* that the sensors are identical, you can sometimes fake out the development software by simply renaming the camera in the EXIF data. This *might* have worked when Canon had a bajillion cameras that used the same18MP sensor.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like a question for Corel. Note that RAW support is a camera by camera thing, not a specific format like .cr2. They may support the 70D but not the 77D, yet.

I spoke to Corel and they said the EOS M100 is not supported.   There are other Canons that output .CR2 files and the apparently work in AfterShot Pro.  Not sure if you are saying that CR2 files from different cameras might be different ?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Sounds like a question for Corel. Note that RAW support is a camera by camera thing, not a specific format like .cr2. They may support the 70D but not the 77D, yet.

@mangurian wrote:

I spoke to Corel and they said the EOS M100 is not supported.   There are other Canons that output .CR2 files and the apparently work in AfterShot Pro.  Not sure if you are saying that CR2 files from different cameras might be different ?

@kvbarkley wrote:

.CR2 files are indeed camera-specific.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It is not so much that the .CR2's are camera specific, just that you need to know info about the camera in order to interpret the RAW file. For example, It could be that a particular sensor's bayer array starts with a green pixel in the upper left corner, while another sensor starts with a blue pixel. You obviously have to know that in order to properly develop the RAW file.

If you *know* that the sensors are identical, you can sometimes fake out the development software by simply renaming the camera in the EXIF data. This *might* have worked when Canon had a bajillion cameras that used the same18MP sensor.

Canon uses the 23 MP sensor in a bunch of cameras.  I changed the EXIF camera name to EOS M5 which Aftershot Pro supports.  It loaded and I could edit it.

I can't do it in batch since the EXIF editing prog wants $79 for their batch plug-in.  Too rich for my blood.

What strikes me is that Corel could force ASP to read all the M-series camera files using what would seem to be a minor software rev.  What am I missing ?  or are they missing something ?  The M series uses a 23 MP sensor.

anyway - Thanks for your help

What you are missing is that while the cameras might be useing hte same sensor, there could be other issues that change the response. If they did do a quickie RAW support based on the sensor, and it didn't work, they would get a bunch of complaints about *that*. Darned if they do and darned if they don't.

A Canon tech, not a rocket scientist, could at least see what unsupported camera raws would load if the EXIF data is changed.  Then they could only load those that do and warn users that the files will load for processing in AS Pro, but they are not officially supported and the EXIF data has been modified.

This is better than advertising a product using the rationale that you should buy it because you can process RAW (only you can't for many cameras).

When I changed my EXIF data from Canon EOS M100 to Canon EOS M5 everything was hunky dory and I was able to catalog and process the CR2 raw files.

Snap 2018-07-23 at 18.54.15.png

That, of course, is a question for Corel.

Announcements