cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AD HOC connection EOS 6D to MacBook Pro

nateargetsinger
Apprentice

Though successfully made an AD HOC connection to my smartphone I've had no such luck connecting to my Mac.  If it's possible on ios 7 it's gotta be possible on OS X Mavericks...

I get all the way to the "select camera" option from the WFT pairing icon at the top of my screen, which indicates that it sees my eos 6D.  I select it, click connect, at which point it prompts me to complete the process on my camera's LCD.. and then something happens, the camera disapears from the WFT Pairing Software window.  Once or twice I've gotten my camera to see "Nate's MacBook" too but still the EOS Utility doesn't recognize any connection.

Has anybody had any success connecting the 6D to a Mac wirelessly using an Ad hoc connection?  It must be possible.. it should be trivial. But I've (unfruitfully) poured hours into this.  Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

18 REPLIES 18

Just curious, when did you FIRST try to make your 6D work with EOS Utility on Mac? I first tried in October, and I'm wondering if trying to initially set it up then, using a less mature version of the Canon software, has created a trap of some kind. The fact that I got it to work as a fresh setup using a personal hotspot with the latest version makes me wonder. To test that, I believe I'd have to clear ALL wifi settings, and I'm hesitant to risk losing the parts that work. But I think I've worked with it enough now to be comfortable recreating.

Never mind. I'd also tried the fresh setup with my alternate Verizon router today with up-to-date software and that didn't work.

Let me attempt to clarify one more thing.

If I Quit EOS Utility and WFT Pairing, then initiate the WiFi connection from the camera, the Confirm settings display shows me a good IP (192.168.1.x) address. At this point, if I bring up OS X Image Capture, the EOS 6D appears in the Shared section (not in the device section where it appears if I use the USB cable). But it behaves like a connected camera, in that I can browse the photos on the camera card this way.

If I then start EOS Utility, and then attempt WiFi pairing, it won't find and offer the camera to connect. However, it will cause the camera to display 0.0.0.0 as its IP address in the Confirm settings display. This will also cause the PTPCamera killed OS X console message as I showed earlier. OS X Image Capture seems unaffected.

Starting over, I quit all the above and restart wifi on the camera. When it says to connect, I start EOS utility and wifi pairing. Complete the connection on the camera, WFT pairing sees the camera at the 192.168.1.x address and offers it for connection. At this point:

1) 6D Confirm settings shows 0.0.0.0

2) OS X Image Capture shows a shared device, but its name is now something like ICPO-WFTEOSSystemServiceHHHHHH, where the H's come from the camera's Mac address. I can NOT view any pictures on the 6D card this way.

Trying to Connect from WFT Pairing Select Camera dialog fails as previously described.

What I am seeing consistently is that when WFT Pairing finds the camera and offers it for connection (even before I choose Connect), it knocks out the legitimate IP address on the 6D's Confirm Settings panel. This doesn't seem right to me. And then it fails to hand EOS Utility a connected camera.

TIme to revisit this...  

MacbookPro Retina/15" 500G SSD, OS/X 10.9.4.

Downloaded and installed Firmeware 1.1.4.  Install fresh EOS Utility 3.0 and launched it.

Disabled GPS, Enabled WiFi.  Connect window appeared. 

Selected my camera and that selection was removed from the list.

Nothing.  EU3.0 just froze up.  Had to quit it.

tried EU2  (2.14.0.0)  Same thing... just had to Quit it.  nothing.

Tried EU3 just launching with Camera already on, "Paring over Wi-Fi/LAN".  Selected my camera again,

got the splash screen, then frozen, again.

Really?  It's been how long since this has failed to work?

More...  Turned off bluetooth and WiFi on MacbookPro, (ethernet using wired connection).

One time, but only one time, I saw a screen that said to complete the connection from camera screen, nothing on camera screen to indicate any communications requests.

Update!

• Newest software version made available end of Oct, 2014 downloaded and installed.
  • Disable WiFi
  • (ON COMPUTER, started up EOS Utility 3).
  • Enable WiFi
  • (Deleted or Changed existing settings, don't remember how I did that step.)
  • WiFi Function (Seleted Computer for Remote shooting).
  • Went thru setup.
  • Started Pairing.  (Followed onscreen instructions.  went back and forth between computer and camera several times).
  • Selected Remote Shooting in EU3...  

I'm connected, paired and remote controlling my camera!  FINALLY!!!!

Conclusion:  Drop, re-setup, connect, shoot.

And.... it looks like we must go thru the connection wizard every time.  It must not remember the password.  Get Err11 (Target connection not found) message otherwise.  (sigh).

Also found this in manual.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/429344/Canon-Eos-6d.html?page=153

kwschnautz
Apprentice

I know this topic is dated -- but I've been searching for a solution since I bought the camera and I finally figured it out today.

From what I can tell, OSX creates it's adhoc network with a funny IP address, which is what causes the grief when pairing.

Please note, I'm using Yosemite, so the Mac commands may vary slightly. I'm using EOS Utility 3.1.0

Here's what you do:

1. Click your WiFi network icon on the mac and select 'Create Network...'
  2. Enter the name of your network. I used 'EOS6D' for simplicity.
  3. Once the mac has created the Ad Hoc network, go to ‘Open Network Preferences’ in the network menu.
  4. Note the IP address that has been auto-assigned to the computer. Mine is ’169.254.119.126’.
  5. Now, go to your camera... turn on the WiFi, and set up a new PC connection (EOS Utility)
  6. Select 'Find Network'
  7. Select the ad hoc network you created on the mac
  8. Use the ‘Manual Setting’ for IP address on the camera
  9. Set the IP address to match the domain of the computer. In my case, anything starting with ‘169.254.119.xxx’ should work. I used ‘169.254.119.100’ for the camera’s IP.
  10. Leave the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, and gateway disabled.
  11. You should get a ‘Start Pairing Devices’ screen. Click ‘OK’
  12. Open ‘EOS utility’ on your computer.
  13. The yellow popup should appear, and clicking it will take you to the list of devices. Select your camera and ‘connect’.
  14. Your camera should read ‘PC [name] found. Connected to the PC.’
  15. Press OK.
  16. Save your connection on the camera for later use.

Enjoy!

Ken

Oh, and reconnecting is as easy as going to the camera and selecting the saved settings. Once the camera is set to join the ad-hoc network, it will create it, even when the Mac isn't hosting the ad-hoc network. When you're ready to connect, the mac will be able to see the camera's ad-hoc network, and list it as an available device.

No need to re-pair every time or save the network on the mac.
Announcements