cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D

Tkjjwill
Apprentice
I just read a post that stated that Photoshop does not read the files shot from the 70D if shot in Raw? Will Lightroom read those files?
5 REPLIES 5

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Tkjjwill!

Thanks for posting.

There are special plug-ins Adobe uses to support RAW in their software.  For full compatibility information, I recommend that you visit the Adobe website, www.adobe.com.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would be surprised if PS and/or LR can't import 70D RAW files.

The import will be different as Adobe software typically does not add anything to a RAW file and programs like Canon's DPP does.

This may be what you are seeing but either should work for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've had to update the Adobe DNG converter and convert the whole contents of a directory containing the 70D CR2 files. It is quick but an added step to workflow and organization. DPP opened them just fine, as I loaded the DPP that came on the disk with the camera. The choice is to convert to DNG (Adobe) or to TIFF (Canon). I have noticed that the TIFF's seem to give my video card in my iMac a bit of a problem sometimes. But that is the route I go.

At first I though I'd read somewhere that Adobe's Camera Raw needed to be updated to read the 70D CR2 files, so I updated it and what actually happened is that Adobe DNG Converter was loaded. I don't like it but I bought the camera for my company to use more with video than stills.

hsbn
Whiz
If you have PS CS6 or later and LR5 then they can read your 70D raw file just fine. If you don't and you want to use Adobe software, you can convert your RAW file into DNG using Adobe free DNG Converter (download the latest version from their website). Otherwise, you have to use Canon provided software.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Adobe added RAW support for the Canon 70D in Adobe Camera RAW Update 8.2.

See:  http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/09/camera-raw-8-2-and-dng-converter-8-2-now-available.h...

Now the downside... this release of ACR is for Photoshop CS6, CC or later.  If you have CS5.x or older there is no ACR patch which includes the 70D but you can download the Adobe DNG converter.  

Another option is to use Canon Digital Photo Professional to convert your RAW files into something Photoshop can read... such as a TIFF image (TIFF is non-lossy so if you want to preserve the benefits of RAW and avoid JPEG, this is one alternative.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements