cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d Mii/Topaz Studio

chief
Rising Star

anyone use this combo? When I export image to Topaz Studio from Mii I get a purple castto image like Studio does not support Mii. This does not happen when I use images from my 80d and old 6d. All images are in RAW, if I change image to a jpeg no purple cast. Topaz does not have a clue, they say Mii is supported. Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you try to send a RAW to Topaz to see if you might have set something that they are mis-interpreting when they process the RAW?

yes I did and have not as of yet gotten a reply

Greetings,

It sounds like you are unintentionally doing some kind of processing on imported images, white balance, layer mask, etc.  Unfortunately, I do not use topaz, but will be interested to hear what they say about your submitted sample.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I thought I had replied to this thread, but I don’t see my post.

Anyway, RAW files are unprocessed and require some processing in order to display a color image.  It turns out there is more than one algorithm to decode a RAW file and turn it into a color image (the process is called “de-mosaicing” or “de-bayering” since the mosaic is based on a Bayer mask.

Some of my astrophotography processing applications actually let me choose what algorithm I want to use (that’s rare... most software doesn’t let the end-user pick the algorithm). 

But the point is... you can open a RAW file with different applications and get a slightly different result.

Your camera comes with a free copy of Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP) which is Canon’s RAW processing software.  If you do not already have this installed on your computer, download it from the Canon support site.

I’m not suggesting you need to change your RAW processing software of choice... I’m merely suggesting that you try some other software that is known to work correctly (since, at this point, we don’t have any evidence that Topaz properly supports your camera).  

If Canon DPP can properly open the RAW file, then that’s fairly strong evidence that it’s a Topaz bug.  

If Canon DPP cannot properly open the RAW file, then that’s probably fairly strong evidence that it’s an issue on the camera side (it may be the camera itself... sometimes it’s a corrupt memory card.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for info. I use Lightroom and Photoshop but like the de noise plug in in Topaz Studio among a couple of other neat options Topaz has. You should check out Topaz Studio, it will not replace my use of LR or PS but iit is a nice add on. All my images from Canon 80d and 6d work fine but not 6d Mii. I have switched cards from one camera to another and they work fine. So it is not a corrupted card. I can work on image in Lightroom or photoshop and then send to Topaz and it works as does jpeg right out of 6dMii just not the RAW image. Kinda weird.

And Canon did change the .raw format when the 6D2 was introduced (.cr2).   

If you install DPP as TCampbell suggests you should quickly have your answer. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@chief wrote:

Thanks for info. I use Lightroom and Photoshop but like the de noise plug in in Topaz Studio among a couple of other neat options Topaz has. You should check out Topaz Studio, it will not replace my use of LR or PS but iit is a nice add on. All my images from Canon 80d and 6d work fine but not 6d Mii. I have switched cards from one camera to another and they work fine. So it is not a corrupted card. I can work on image in Lightroom or photoshop and then send to Topaz and it works as does jpeg right out of 6dMii just not the RAW image. Kinda weird.

I get that you like Topaz as an asset to your toolbox... I wasn't suggesting you stop using them.  I was suggesting that you try to open the same RAW files in other software as a way to test if the file itself is the problem... vs. the software.

If Adobe can open the RAW file correctly in Lightroom and Photoshop, and if Canon DPP can open the file correctly, then likely Topaz has an issue with the 6D II RAW files.

Other questions are:  Are you using the latest available version of Topaz?  Do they have separate "camera raw" support updates required (like Adobe) and, if so, are those up to date?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements