cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ds Grey Screen when Using EOS Utility

clairepics
Contributor

I've been using my 5ds in live view mode on my imac with EOS utility. All of a sudden one day, both my 5ds and 5d mark III will only show up with a grey screen in eos utility  when I open live view mode. I fixed it by deleting the software and reinstalling it, but as soon as I closed and reopened the program, I'm facing this grey screen of death. The lcd screen on the camera works fine, but the live view is not visible on the computer screen. It is driving me abslutely crazy, has this happened to any of you before?! How do I fix this?!

5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hello clairepics, 

In order for the community to assist you, can you please list the operating system and version your computer is running at the time of this issue?  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm using Mac OSX El Capitan version 10.11.6

Hello clairepics, 

Thank you for the update.  Do you mind also providing the version of EOS Utility that you are using.  Are you able to try the connection with a different USB cable?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The version of EOS utility is the most recent one available on canon's website, which I have uninstalled and installed 3 times to try to get this to work. Re-installing it makes it work for 1-2 rounds. The mark iii and 5ds both have this problem and they use different cables, but I've tried 2 different cables for each camera. I've found that if I unplug and replug in the mark iii 5-8 times while restarting the camera and EOS utility, AND take out the memory card, I can me the computer do live view. Making it work is a totally random series of unplugging and turning it off and on over and over again and it still won't work with a memory card in the slot when using the mark iii. It's rendered both cameras impossible to use remotely on my computer. 

@clairepics wrote:

The version of EOS utility is the most recent one available on canon's website, which I have uninstalled and installed 3 times to try to get this to work. Re-installing it makes it work for 1-2 rounds. The mark iii and 5ds both have this problem and they use different cables, but I've tried 2 different cables for each camera. I've found that if I unplug and replug in the mark iii 5-8 times while restarting the camera and EOS utility, AND take out the memory card, I can me the computer do live view. Making it work is a totally random series of unplugging and turning it off and on over and over again and it still won't work with a memory card in the slot when using the mark iii. It's rendered both cameras impossible to use remotely on my computer. 

Many MAC users have issues because of USB hubs and port adapters they use with their MACs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements