cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Macro Photos

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Have you captured an awesome macro photo? Post it here and share the story behind the shot. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used. This photo was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens at f/5, 1/160 sec, ISO 100.

FLower-Macro.jpg

173 REPLIES 173

Shutterhack;  How are you liking that 100mm lens? IT was recommended to me and have sorta been considering it, but still at beginner level and haven't justified it yet.  I love the contrast in this photo and hpw you framed this. DOF could be a little better, maybe at a higher f stop? (that was a question)

fatcat

I'm a total beginner also. That said, I am really enjoying the lens. I’m under the impression that DOF when taking close up photos is what it is and the only way to overcome that is by focus stacking for a shot like that. I shot this handheld which is why I purchased this lens for the IS feature.

This pic below I was pretty square to the butterfly, so it is more in focus.

Rebel T5, iso 1250, 1/160, f/5.6

Hairy_edited-1.jpg

shutterhack,

Very nice resolution on that lens.  Welp, looks like I need to learn a bit on focus stacking.  I know what it is, but not how to do it.  Your butterfly shots are amazing to me.  Mine didn't come close to that kind of detail, must be the lens.  A friend of mine has a $3k macro lens, and we both took pics last w/e of the same thing.  His were SO much more detailed, it really brought home the idea that  the lens makes ALL the difference.  Might have to justify getting one after all.  May I ask where you got it and was it a small fortune?  The ones I've looked at they wanted around $1,000.  Thanks for sharing. Liz

fatcat

Canon has that lens for around $850 I think. 

They were out of stock when I was ready to purchase, so I went to 42photo which had it on sale for around $750 I think.

Then I added a UV filter for another $60 or so. 

TY, thats allot cheaper than what I've been albe to find.  Think I'll make it a saving priority for next spring.   Haven't heard of 42photo, I'll take a look, thanks.  You got a good buy on the lens.  The lowest I saw was $899 on amazon and best buy.  If I  watch the sales,  maybe can find a good deal too.  Keep on shooting, you're doing a great job..liz

mboccuzzi
Apprentice

This photo was taken with my Canon Rebel T4i and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens at f/18, 1/800 sec, ISO 3200inch worms.jpg

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

Pictured is a flower on a trumpet vine.

The equipment  used:

The raw file was processed in Aftershot Pro 2.

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

Pictured is a flower on a trumpet vine.

• AV: ƒ/5.6
  • Focal Length: 300.0 mm
  • Lens EF-75-300mm f4-5.6 III
  • TV1/200
  • ISO: 3200
  • IMG_0446_Nature.jpg

The raw file was processed in Digital Photo Professional.

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

A gulf fritillary butterfly feeds on a lantana plant.

Equipment used:

The raw file was processed in Digital Photo Professional.

ballottasphotog
Enthusiast

A gulf fritillary butterfly feeds on the nectar of a latana.

The raw file was processed in Aftershot Pro 2.

Announcements