cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rufous-tailed Hummingbird in the Heart of Colombia

adamrainoff
Contributor

20230701-275430-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

Capturing the Rufous-tailed Hummingbird (Amazilia tzacatl) in this photograph was a unique experience, especially in the lush setting of San Pablo de Borbur, Boyacá, Colombia. This tiny bird, with its vibrant emerald-green body and distinctive rufous-colored tail, is full of energy, darting among the foliage and flowers. The natural lighting of the morning emphasized the bird’s striking plumage against the soft green background, creating an image that feels alive with movement and color. I wanted to capture not just the beauty of the bird but the essence of its environment, the calm yet vibrant nature that embodies San Pablo de Borbur.

This shot was taken using my Canon R5 with an RF 800mm lens paired with a 1.4x extender, giving me an effective focal length of 1120mm. With a shutter speed of 1/180 second, f/16 aperture, and an ISO of 800, I was able to balance the challenge of capturing fine detail in low light while freezing the hummingbird’s rapid movements. The result is an image that highlights the elegance of this hummingbird in its natural habitat.

Photography in this region always offers new opportunities to showcase the importance of conservation, working alongside groups like Encanto Verde and their dedication to protecting the environment and its wildlife.

©2023 Adam Rainoff Photographer

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements