cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Test of a RF 24-240 Super Zoom Lens - Does it Handle a Crop?

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

One of the most challenging tests of a lens is it's ability to handle a significant crop without having the resolution fall apart.   So, I went to the reptile house, a fairly dimly-lit place with the the animals behind glass - so not, in itself, an inspiring environment to shoot in.  Still, the skinks and geckoes can be rather beautiful if one can get an up-close image. 

I have taken some previously with some super tele zooms: such as the Sigma 60-600s, RF 100-500 and even RF 200-800.  This time, I was bringing the RF 24-240 super zoom lens to check it out, and see if I could not only get one of the tiny creatures in focus (given the DoF would be razor thin), but whether it could be cropped in effectively.

I concentrated on some of the more colourful characters and here are the results.  The first shot is a bit of a bonus as some tiny crickets had been let loose in the enclosures for the geckoes and skinks to feed on. 

Shot RAW+JPG, cropped and lens corrected in PS and massively downsized.  Shot single point centre BB focus, and single point centre metering, hand-held, no fancy layers etc., so I hope a reasonable representation of the lens' performance.

The original JPG image as shot.
R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-1000R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-1000

Same image cropped.
R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-1000R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-1000

The Elegant (AKA Auckland) Green Gecko is barely 4" (100mm) from nose to tail, but it has wonderful colouration.

R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-2500R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-2500  R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-2500R6II, RF 24-240@240mm, f/8, 1/250sec, ISO-2500

Not a bad lens, I reckon...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
2 REPLIES 2

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Trevor,

As always, great job on your test photos showing the ability of the RF 24-240mm super zoom to handle significant crop without having the resolution fall apart.  Kudos to you, Kiwi !   🙂

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Thank you, Joe!  It's a great lens and a surprise for a lot of folks who see super zooms as inherently seriously compromised.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements