cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My shots of the Jupiter/Saturn Conjunction

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Here are my shots of the conjunction. I tried with my 150-600 mm lens and 600mm + 1.4X TC

First full size images to show what I cropped from

Lens by itself:

IMG_8186.jpeg

Lens + TC

IMG_8196.jpeg

The best with the lens by itself You can barely see one of Jupiter's moons in the shot.

IMG_8183.jpeg

IMG_8180.jpeg

And with the TC

IMG_8196 (1).jpeg

I wish I could have seen the bands of Jupiter, but they were never clear.

5 REPLIES 5

Excelent.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Excellent shots.  I've had too much cloud cover in the NYC area.

How did you focus?  Manual or Live View Auto?  This is case where you need to focus during daylight on something over a mile away, and then lock down the focus ring.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I used live view with magnification. I actually got focus confirmation a few times when Jupiter was over one of the focus areas.

@kvbarkley wrote:
I used live view with magnification. I actually got focus confirmation a few times when Jupiter was over one of the focus areas.

Yes, that can happen.  If you manually focus the lens, leave the lens in the MF position, and then press the shutter of BBF, you can get a focus confirmation in One Shot mode.

But if you camera has a Dual Pixel AF image sensor, then using AF in Live View may give more accurate focusing.  Technically, when you are focusing at infinity using highr f/stops it should not make much if any, difference which AF system you use.

My 7D2 was the first Dual Pixel AF camera I had, but the 6D2 is the first Dual Pixel AF sensor body I used to shoot the Moon.  And, the images were noticealy sharper compared to the OVF or me using Live View to manually focus on the rear LCD.

Also, I do get very good results using the EOS Utility 3 for Remote Shooting via Bluetooth.  The larger display on the iPad is little time delayed, but, it seems like you can see a higher resoution image. I know that it should be the same resolution as the rear display.  It just feels that way, maybe because it is so much larger.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I should mention, that I also used the moon as a focus point. As far as the camera is concerned, it is the same distance as Jupiter and Saturn.

Announcements