cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First attempt at using telescope for lunar photography

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Without sports to shoot, I have been delving into other areas of photography.  The weather was finally nice during the evening and I used my 1DX III with a T adapter and my Celestron CPC 1100 Edge HD telescope (11" SCT type).  It looks like something that will be fun to learn more about although I would rather be on the soccer sidelines now.

Shot with the 1DX III at 1/400 ISO 400 and the telescope functions as a 2800mm f10 lens with the camera directly

attached.  Mirror lockup was used along with a TC-80N3 as a remote release to avoid camera shake.

Rodger

AS0I4946.JPG

AS0I4940.JPG

AS0I4941.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
2 REPLIES 2

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
Incredible shots, I think I need to look into a telescope instead of a mirrorless camera.

@Mitsubishiman wrote:
Incredible shots, I think I need to look into a telescope instead of a mirrorless camera.

Invest in a tripod that is as stable as a fence post, preferably one without a center column.  Video tripods are great to use.

I have a big and heavy, 10mm Induro video tripod, which can support close to 100 lbs.  It is tree trunk.  I have used it to photograph long exposures of the night sky on windy days with over 30 mph wind gusts, without any issue. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements