cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captured an awesome travel pic lately?

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Share your amazing travel photography! Let us know the Canon gear you used and the story behind the photo. 

This beautiful scene in Italy was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens at f/11, 1/5 sec, ISO 100.

Travel_Italy.jpg

177 REPLIES 177

@Holymoly wrote:

I think it's a bit sad when a thread on photographs becomes a discussion about HDR and whether it's a valid form of photography.

I remember when I switched from film to digital and the purists would argue that ANY interference from Photoshop destroyed the art. It's all a matter of degree.

If a particular individual's preference for highly stylised HDR offends you then that is your opinion and perhaps you are missing the point. Infra red, black and white, soft focus, even polarised are all techniques that alter the final image away from the original scene. HDR is the new kid on the block and could be argued is introducing a new art form distinct from old school photography.

Personally I love using Lightroom and Photoshop to produce an image of which I am proud. It isn't neccessarily just an exercise in faithfully reproducing the subject to the n'th degree.

I think you're the one missing the point. The reason for submitting photos to a thread like this is to find out what other people think of them, to try to understand what works and what doesn't. Ernie's four pictures all work, to one degree or another; the original picture that kicked off the discussion is, in my opinion, much less successful, for the reasons I stated. You're obviously free to disagree on artistic grounds or to challenge my analysis of the technical issues underlying the shot. But to lament the fact that I expressed an opinion different from yours makes no sense. The bottom line is that the moderator wanted to start a discussion by posting the original picture, and she succeeded in doing exactly that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I think it's a bit sad when a thread on photographs becomes a discussion about HDR and whether it's a valid form of photography."

Why?  This is a public forum. It sole purpose is discussion and opinions. Besides info and tips on how to do photography.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. 

"Personally I love using Lightroom and Photoshop ..."

I am right there with you. All of my photos go through LR and/or PS. 100% Smiley Happy

Speaking of IR, how's this?

CRW_3831 - Copy.JPG

EOS 10D with IR conversion. ef 17- 40mm f4L. 20mm, f11, 1/100, and ISO 100.  RAW conversion done in DPP and edited in PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

CRW_3862_re.jpg

EOS 10D with IR conversion. ef 17- 40mm f4L. 20mm, f11, 1/100, and ISO 100.  RAW conversion done in DPP and edited in PS.

EB

agreed. Some ppl think it's a bad thing to photoshop. the artist is the one that should decide what he/she wants you to see, like a painting. I am learning that on other photo sites there are many abstract paintings from photoshopping the image. There is art in that too. Lets be nice to eachother on here, we are all learning

My preference is for special effects that do not look like special effects.  Here is an in-camera HDR, shot with a CPL filter.  On the left is the regular shot, handheld.  On the right is the same handheld shot, but as HDR.

IMG_3474.jpgIMG_3475.jpg

New Haven, CT - EOS 6D w/EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - 1/4000 sec, f/4, ISO 100,

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Interesting. I spent four years in New Haven when I was in college, but I don't think I even knew that lighthouse was there.

Of course that was so long ago that maybe it wasn't!  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Interesting. I spent four years in New Haven when I was in college, but I don't think I even knew that lighthouse was there.

Of course that was so long ago that maybe it wasn't!  Smiley Happy

Do a web search for " lighthouse road new haven ".  That's also the name of an exit on Interstate 95.  There is a popular public park is called Lighthouse Point. Locals take it for granted, probably because it is a bit out of the way, and accessed by a single road with a 25 mph speed limit for a couple of miles.

The left hand picture even shows the second lighthouse, which is located some distance off shore.  It can be seen in on the water's horizon in the right part of the shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

HDR can be mild to wild.  You can make a photo where it really isn't noticed or you can go abstract.  

_52D2926-HDR.jpg

_52D2926_7_8HDR.jpg

_52D2926_7_8HDR-2.jpg

Oil rigs in eastern Kansas.  EOS 1D Mk IV with ef 16-35mm f2.8L @ 16mm.

EB

Antelope Canyon.jpg

Antelope Canyon

Canon 1D Mark IV, EF24-70 f/4L, ISO 400, 1/8 sec @ f/8

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

File Name_John Hoffman.jpg

Monument Valley Sunrise

Canon 1D Mark IV, EF24-70 f/4L, ISO 1250, 1/250 sec @ f/22

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic