cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska - Inside Passage (Seward to Vancouver - Days 1 - 2)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We made it to Alaska last Friday and started our cruise.  Long day considering we live on the west coast. Up at 3am, out the door at 4 and take off at 6AM.  We landed in Seattle around 7:35am.  Short layover, then 3.5 hrs to Anchorage.  Then a little over 2 hr bus ride to Seward.  We were in our state room by 3:30pm.  Reminded me of going to Europe.  We were all pretty beat.  Res at the Chef's Table at 6:30. 

First 2 days were low key.  The boat stayed in port over night and we toured Resurrection Bay the following morning.  One whale a few seals, bald eagles, an otter, mountain goats, some dolphins and puffins.   I did not take too many wildlife photos.  My first 3 shots are poor due to the weather.  It was early and misty.  Once the sun came out things got better.  

The US purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867 for $7.2 million dollars.  2 cents an acre.  It was a deal.  We left Seward at 5PM heading for Valdez.  Its about 175 miles south, then a little northeast up a gigantic fjord.  The bays where Seward and Valdez are located are the only two bays in Alaska that don't freeze year around.  This is primarily due to the speed of the currents and tides.  We've been very lucky weather wise.  It rained most of the last two weeks and the crew told us the last cruise only saw 2 days of sunshine.  We've had sun since we arrived.  Temps are 50's to low 60's.  I only have a laptop, so no PhotoLab but DPP to the rescue ‌‌. 👍 R5 C, all Canon glass, 15~35, 24~70, 70~200 and 100~500.  I'm hauling all of this around with me each day in a Lowepro Protactic 450 AWII.  Its extremely comfortable, but heavy.  I have a tripod too.  What was I thinking. 🤣 ‌‌ Today the boat is going to pass the Hubbard Glacier.  The captain told us he'd stop and pivot 360* for about an hour.  The ship is incredible. Its the Viking Orion. 930 humans.  About 700 are guests.  This is our first ocean cruise in about 20 yrs.  We've done Vikings river cruises previously.  We also saw some black bears feasting on the salmon, but the driver wouldn't let me off the bus and the glare on the windows was bad.  I think I'll have another chance at the Mendenhall Glacier.  This is day 1 and 2.  We are at sea today.

Viking OrionViking OrionResurrection BayResurrection BayResurrection BayResurrection Bay00000004.JPGSeals - The LifeSeals - The LifeSome White Ones TooSome White Ones TooKenai Natl Park - GlacierKenai Natl Park - GlacierSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSpire CoveSeward AreaSeward AreaLeaving SewardLeaving SewardPoor Guy Has 10K AppetizersPoor Guy Has 10K AppetizersValdez Fish HatcheryValdez Fish HatcheryKeystone Canyon - Outside Of ValdezKeystone Canyon - Outside Of Valdez00000020.JPGKeystone CanyonKeystone Canyon00000022.JPG

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

4 REPLIES 4

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Very nice photos. Alaska was on my bucket list but discovered my bucket has a hole in it.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks John.  I got some great shots of the Hubbard Glacier today.  Will post more later.

Hubbard GlacierHubbard Glacier

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Awesome shot. 

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D

Walt_Felix
Enthusiast

Very Nice, my wife and I are book for a cruise there next year.  Looking forward to it. 

Walt Felix
https://linktr.ee/waltfelix

EOS 5D Mk IV, 90D, 400D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements