cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 user tips and tricks

500mph
Contributor

Hello,

Are there any other members here using the new XF605. I would love to start a chat group about tips and tricks and great ideas to get the most out of this great video camera.

24 REPLIES 24

Hi Nick! Hope you have been well. I am still struggling to optimize the XF605. I know I am properly exposing everything. I feel there must be some kind of setting or something I don’t have that is keeping it from getting that 4k look. Still shooting CLog3 and between F 2.8-4.5, with a shutter that gives us a nice choppy effect for little to no motion blur. I understand the 180 rule, but either way the film still does not look like what it should. Let me know if there are any other solutions you may have that may be going over my head. Thanks!

Did you look at the other items in my recommendation? What kind of scene, what kind of light?  Don't use the ND filters unless the camera alerts.  Also don't overuse them. The minimum amount needed to give you the right exposure.  That means you have to keep an eye on the setting as lighting changes.  Otherwise, if you're still shooting the same scene, dormant trees in the winter always look terrible. 😄

Yes I’ve looked at all the items that you recommended. I just can’t seem to get anything to look like that golf channel I sent before. Maybe they edited their comp file a different way, but I wanna say that’s not it. Shooting in natural light whether that’s sunny days or overcast. Thanks for the response Nick! Was great to hear from you again.

500mph
Contributor

Great Nick! Are you using an external camera monitor, if so, which one and how has it worked out for you?

NickMDal
Enthusiast

I use a Ninja Inferno, which is 7".  Held onto Manfrotto tripod by 240 mini arm.  They pair really well.  The monitor and 605 both share view assist functions.  The camera is able to keep (e.g. focus assist) separate from the footage stored, but monitors generally cannot.  So point of caution.  We are reshooting this week following baking the  focus assist into the footage recorded to the Ninja.

The Inferno is discontinued.  My only gripe with the Ninja 7" monitors (besides the problem above) is there are no good sun shades available as there are for the smaller V model.

The 605 is extremely flexible allowing you to route virtually any OSD to any arrangements of video out ports, so no need to make our huge gaff 🙂  At least not due to 605 limitations, which are few.

The monitor records 4k 10bit in apple prores, so easy to edit.  Hope this helps!

500mph
Contributor

Great respone, Nick! Thank you very much, truly was helpful and interesting about the warning, I will add this our our Bag notes. Speaking of bags, I just purchased a Shape SBag (My other case was too small), its ok but I was wondering what you are using for any Run-n-Gun work?

NickMDal
Enthusiast

We shoot with 3 cameras and an audio recorder.  All wildlife mini docs (Dallas Nature Channel).  So we have a system of color-coded ski-caps (perfect for gear!).  All gear (each in its own hat) go into backpacks!

Wow, that is awesome, I would love to see pic's some day of your system, you have been very helpful! Thank you!

One day a Canon XC15 fell out of its ski cap and the backpack.  The LCD panel ribbon was severed and so >$700. 😖

We bit the bullet and bought 4 Tenba video bags and life got great!!!  However, they are $$$.  So if you're using backpacks or something less secure, be careful!!!

500mph
Contributor

Good stuff, Nick! Thanks!

Announcements