cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 "USB (Type-C) Mode" greyed out

MBANK
Apprentice

I want to connect my new Canon XF605 as a webcam

When I go to Settings (item 7) the "USB (Type-C) Mode" setting is greyed out and I cannot change it.

Does anyone know how to enable this so I can make the change needed?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

jfremer
Apprentice

I'm sure this is one of those "terrible interface" issues with a very simple but ming-bogglingly obscure and technical contingency answer (i.e. "Of COURSE if you have the widget A/B sync flibbertyfloo dynamics level set to MEDIUM you can't use USB Mode!!!!")

The answer will surely be to go to some seemingly-unrelated menu area to an indecipherable choice on a never-used feature and change from one setting you don't understand to another setting that has no discernable meaning and THAT will allow you to use USB (Type C) Mode

@jfremer wrote:

I'm sure this is one of those "terrible interface" issues with a very simple but ming-bogglingly obscure and technical contingency answer (i.e. "Of COURSE if you have the widget A/B sync flibbertyfloo dynamics level set to MEDIUM you can't use USB Mode!!!!")

The answer will surely be to go to some seemingly-unrelated menu area to an indecipherable choice on a never-used feature and change from one setting you don't understand to another setting that has no discernable meaning and THAT will allow you to use USB (Type C) Mode

Happy Holidays,

This post is 8 months old. The Camera has 2 USB ports. There is a clear explanation. 🤔

shadowsports_0-1703449903286.png

The USB host terminal is available for future functionality expansion.  

The USB-C port 

shadowsports_1-1703450152102.png

shadowsports_2-1703450379438.png

The notes indicate the function cannot be used simultaneously with the Browser Remote function (A 184), XC Protocol (A 191), still image recording or during IP streaming.

shadowsports_3-1703450828020.png

😉 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm trying to determine how your comment explains why the choice to configure the USB (Type-C) Mode is greyed out and what else needs to be changed (or what needs to be done) to get access to it. The manual clearly shows that the USB-C port is the one used for the web functionality. In my case I connected my computer to the camera via USB-C and had the Canon webcam app running. All references say I need to set the USB (Type-C) Mode menu choices, but the choice on the camera is (as I posted previously) GREYED OUT. 

I've worked on dozens of cameras from different manufacturers and this is clearly a CLASSIC case of UNDER DOCUMENTATION. I'm pretty sure I have to change some other setting on the camera to enable this menu setting, but there is absolutely no documentation of dependencies. Regardless--if you sell a camera and proclaim in all of your marketing that you can use it as a webcam you should supply instructions on how this is done and what variables might interfere with the ability to use the feature.

BUT... there is absolutely no documentation. 

Announcements