cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA60 Kelvin adjustment of White Balance

ronbo15
Apprentice

I've been in touch with Canon Support and before I submit a warranty repair request, I thought I'd ask here.

I purchased a new XA60 camcorder and wanted to use my XA11 as a spare.

With the new XA60, auto white balance, and white balance set by zooming to a grey card, work as expected. But, when trying to set the white balance to the same kelvin temperature setting that the manual setting of white balance selected, there is a greenish tint. Can't adjust it out. I usually use photo grade CFL lights with some natural light in the room. but this occurs with some interior lighting only, too. I doesn't seem to occur with a pair of LED studio lights I tried, I can’t adjust the green tint out using the kelvin temp control, I used the kelvin control for fine adjustments. On my XA11, the auto white balance, set white balance using a grey card, and set using kelvin all work as expected, including under CFL lights. 

I was referred to repair by a canon support rep. Any other thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite

If you haven't already, perhaps reset the XA60.  Wondering if perhaps it has some custom setting/adjustment in play.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tried that. Took off the uv filter, too. It's strange that auto and manual white balance setting works but using the Kelvin scale does not. Thanks for your comment!

Does the camera allow for green/magenta modification when using Kelvin?  That's the only other thing I can think of.  Though that should have gotten reset perhaps when resetting the camcorder.

May be that you need to send in to Canon.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

No adjustment seen except something called Custom Picture setting which looks very complicated. I can't even call it up, perhaps because the one in the camera is protected, but I would think you could call it up and rename it to be one of the additional five it says it can store (at least on an SD card). But, looking at the instructions and graphs, it isn't obvious what to set, and how to match it to an image taken with a white balance card doesn't look possible. Thanks!

JonKline
Enthusiast

Different sensor models will always have a little bit of difference between them. I would try dialing in a custom G/M shift to match them, or just balancing both with custom white balance on the same gray card.

Unfortunately, I don't see an adjustment. I hope it is a calibration problem that can be fixed, I just hate sending in a new camera already for repair! Thanks!

Announcements