cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble uploading Canon Vixia HF G20 photos, videos

swilley56
Apprentice

I bought a new Canon Vixia HF G20 and took some amazing videos and photos but cannot upload them to my Mac OS X (version 10.9.5)... I connect the power cord to the camcorder, and the usb cable from camcorder to computer, and I can see the Canon icon appear on the computer screen. However, when I open the icon all I can see is "private" and no photos or videos.I initialized the card before I used it.

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Swilley56,

Thanks for posting.

Your images are stored inside numbered folders inside the DCIM folder. You may access these images with an app like the Canon CameraWindow or with iPhoto (or the Photos App), included with your computer.

We recommend against the transfer of movies except with the use of software specifically designed for this process, such as iMovie.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

VideoGeek
Mentor

Are the videos and pictures stored on internal memory or an SD card? 

Either way the Private folder structure looks something like the following:

PRIVATE

- MY_MUSIC

- MISC

- DCIM

- AVCHD

The pictures as Richard stated are in the DCIM folder.

To navigate to the video files you would first open the AVCHD folder and in that folder you will find the BDMV folder.

Open the BDMV folder and you will find the video clips in the STREAM folder.

AVCHD

- BDMV

-  - BACKUP

-  - CLIPINF

-  - PLAYLIST

-  - STREAM

The only folder you need to be concerned with is STREAM.  If you decide to copy the video files over to the Mac I would copy the entire PRIVATE folder to be on the safe side and avoid any potential problems.

Announcements