cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C not recognizing 580 EXII Soeedlite through AD-E1 Adapter

Cleve
Contributor

Just received my new R5C last week.  I also purchased the AD-E1 adapter so that I can use my EX Speedlites with it. However, I have not been able to get the camera to recognize any of my old EX flashes including my 580 EX II. Could I have a defective shoe on my R5C. All of the flashes work perfectly on my 5D and 7D cameras. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cleve
Contributor

I contacted my B&H Technical rep. He said the 580 EX II works on the R5C without the adapter. You only use the adapter if you want the water seal. I tried connecting the flash to the camera without the adapter and it worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

While your specific flash is not listed in the compatibility matrix, I'd suspect it should work Pages 757-758

eosr5c-aug2-photo-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

Support with the AD-E1 is expressly stated.

Speedlite EL-1, Speedlite 600EX II-RT, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Speedlite 580EX II, ST-E3-RT or OC-E3 flash cord

While painful, especially after you just bought the camera, I'd reset it, and retest.  The menu's can be overwhelming at first, but they start becoming familiar as time passes.  

Depending on how / where you purchased your camera, I'd contact the place of purchase or Canon directly for assistance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Cleve
Contributor

Thank you very much for your response.  I have been in touch with a Canon technical rep. He confirmed that my 580 EX II Speedlite should word with the adapter.  His suggestion was to make sure that all packing material had been removed to insure good contact between the camera and the flash.  He also stated that I have to use the mechanical shutter vs. the electronic shutter (don't know why that would make a difference).   I tried each of these with no success. I'll contact Canon again. I purchased the adapter and Camera from B&H   

Cleve
Contributor

I contacted my B&H Technical rep. He said the 580 EX II works on the R5C without the adapter. You only use the adapter if you want the water seal. I tried connecting the flash to the camera without the adapter and it worked.

Announcements