cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 Importing video clips', finding video format info once imported

GilD
Apprentice

Hello, I've just purchased an XF605 camcorder and I edit footage in Final Cut Pro - I need help with two things. First,  my practice has been to import my video clips for a project into stand alone folders, outside the Final Cut Pro video library.  Then in the library for that project, link to the clips in the folder I created. 

I've been using a Sony camcorder and their import tool, Catalyst Browse, makes this simple.  I just select the clips I want and it transcodes them into Apple ProRes files, without extra metadata files.  I tried the Canon XU app for this and found that some of the clips, I believe those formatted XF-AVC, get trascoded into multiple files - a .mxf, a thm, a .xml and a .mif.  I'm think the .mxf is the video and audio -- is it all I would need to import into Final Cut Pro, or would the other files be necessary?  

(I understand that Final Cut Pro will transcode the clips but it puts them into a library file, so I'd have to copy them out to a stand-alone file, then delete what's in the library in order to have the small library file I'd prefer.  Plus, I reuse clips between different projects, so I'd like to avoid having several libraries that are using aliases of clips copied from other libraries.)   

The second question I have is about metadata showing recording format information.  Neither method of capture I tried, (Final Cut Pro capture or the Canon XU app), seems to show the original recording format information in the metadata, (ie:  XF-AVC, (MP4(HEVC), MP4(H.264).  I'd like to know that information about the test clips I recorded so I can compare them - does anyone know how I find that information?

Thanks for any insight on this.

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements