cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C: Please Make an LP-E19 Battery Grip 9V 3A Power Options for 8K 60P + Lens Support

MDXFILMS
Contributor

The biggest problem with the R5C, as you see all over social media and forums is the power. Specifically delivering enough power to get the full potential of the camera without compromises.

Meaning I want to get 8k 60P with full lens support.

So Canon... Can you make a grip that has enough power to get the max features out of the camera? The current battery is 7.2 volts. The only way to get the full power of 9V 3 Amps is through the USB-C cable or using the canon battery adapter to PTAP or A/C adapter. That method is a bit messy with cables and the chances of losing power is high. The beauty of the camera is the small size. My solution: Create a battery Grip that uses the LP-E19 batteries and delivers 9v, 3 amps to the camera so that we can get the best usage out of it. CANON CAN YOU MAKE THIS?! or make one with the Canon C70 batteries?! 

If there is a better place to ask for features or products let me know!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Better place to submit a product or feature request, yes there is.

Canon Support for | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Bottom of page, select [+]Feedback, then product in the next dialog that opens.  

You aren't alone.  Many are concerned with this type of use case, and it is something that others have expressed an interest in.  Please submit your request.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the help!

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

you might want to check out this video from deaf director on youtube on how he rigs out his R5C.  specifically, he uses the smallrig mini v-mount to hold a micro vmount battery (like smallrig vb99) connected by a usb c cable.  his setup for power begins at 7:25 but whole video is worth to watch.

(65) CANON R5/R5C: THE TOP 10 ACCESSORIES - YouTube

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@jaewoosong,

I watched this video about 2 weeks ago.  I was bummed because I had already purchased the updated Black Mamba cage (made specifically for the R5 C not the R5/6).  It doesn't have the raised frame over the top LCD on the right side of the cage.  His rig was really ingenious.  Form, function and balance only adding what essentially amounts to a "flash".  A small-ish v-mount which adds almost nothing to the overall form factor of your kit.  I have also traded messages with Bryan (Deaf Director) about many of his videos.  He is probably the most prolific R5 C user (content creator) on youtube currently.  I've learned so much from him about my camera.  He's got a slew of tips and advice and it just keeps coming.  Josh Sattin is another great content creator who has put some great videos out on the R5 C.  Its only $60 so I may grab one. @MDXFILMS, you may want to check this solution out.

shadowsports_0-1672884287849.pngshadowsports_1-1672884392274.png

Mine, first image has a removeable extended baseplate.

shadowsports_3-1672885101562.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I've bought multiple smallrig cages for my R5 (first the regular/old ver one and 2nd the one that supports the battery grip) so I understand the pain... 😛  Early on, he did some of the most comprehensive R5 overheating testing when I started following him on YT.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

MDXFILMS
Contributor

Yes. I have seen that. Super cool videos. Thanks for sharing. I can build my R5C up but I was looking into a more minimalist set up. I also travel with the C70 and red raptor so the use of usbc and ptaps with a v mount is a great option too. I might see if I can build a grip by frankensteining some parts together. hmm..

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

No doubt this is a pain point for those looking for extended run times.  I went with a USB-PD.  SmallRig makes 2 V-Mount battery plates which works for this application..  One super small and one medium.  Deaf Director is using the Med size.  The small plate will work on the $59 dollar cage, but not on mine.   

This is the medium plate

shadowsports_0-1673015060614.png

And this is the small.  It has 4 additional holes on the bottom.  If the captive screws are removeable, then it could be used with the "V" receptacle facing forward.

shadowsports_2-1673015694371.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes. I use the medium one with my C70 adapting it to a v-mount so I have one type of battery to travel with. I just got an interesting usbc power bank that might bandaid my problem. We will see if it works, I like the base plate and ability to power it to full capacity without carrying around a large system. 🙌🏽😎🎥

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

will4m
Apprentice

Yes, absolutely endorse this request!  Personally, I'd love a grip that supported the BP-A30/BP-A60 batteries which I already have from my other Cinema EOS cameras, but I'd also go for one using the LP-E19 if that powered the lens in 8k60.  Of course, when creating a camera rig, it's possible to add a battery to power over USB-C.  But for the low-profile handheld shooting that this camera is otherwise so great for, all of those solutions prove too bulky (along with the risk of cables being tangled/pulled).  And so a grip connecting without cables that provided the full voltage would be most appreciated!

Quick mockup of the potential BP-A style grip:

R5Cgrip.jpg

Otherwise, absolutely love this camera – a hearty お疲れ様でした to the team who brought it to fruition – flipping the switch to video and getting the Cinema EOS menus feels too good to be true every time!

Announcements