cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer won't detect new full print cartridge

Schuldenfrei
Contributor

Hi Forum,

I have seen this problem before on this forum.  I have a Pro-100 purchased in 2017.  One of my cartridges is flashing empty when it is almost full.  I have tried the power pn/off fix.  No luck.  How can I clean the contacts?  Will that solve the problem?  Is my next step to call Canon?

Thank you,

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I called Canon.  They agreed with this forum thread.  If ink is flowing and printing well, ignore the low ink warning.  I will check the levels weekly and run the simple cleaning monthly.  Consider this problem, if not solved, managed.  If anyone else has this issue, make sure the ink is flowing before ignoring the warnings.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Contacts can be cleaned using a Q-Tip with small (very small) amount of alcohol.  You can do this to the cartridge as well.  Be sure everything is completely dry before you reseat the cartridge and power back up.

If that doesn't work, you can try another cartridge (maybe you got a faulty one), and of course calling Canon won't hurt.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you Rick,

I will try the alcohol treatment later on today.  This is the second cartridge.  A faulty cartridge was the first thing I tried.  Then I tried the power off/on procedure.  Does anyone know the logic by which the printer becomes aware of low ink levels?

Before I bought the PRO-100 in 2017 I had an earlier model called the PRO9000 Mk II.  When it had a "print head blockage" it was cheaper to buy the PRO-100 than fix it Smiley Sad I hope this problem does not follow the arc of that story.

Cheers,

Bob

The printer reads from a chip on the cartridge.  This provides information such as manufacturer, remaining ink level and controls dispersion. 

Problems with the chip (on the cartridge) or sensor on the ink carrier could cause problems like you describe.  Knowing that you have already replaced the cartridge without a satisfactory result isn't a good sign. 

I have owned several photo quality printers (last 20 yrs).  I don't own one now as I do not have the time needed to make owning one a good investment for me.  These things work best when used regularly.  Problems occur when they sit.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Although I too recognize that the issue is not the cartridge and that is bad news, I do think I am learning about the issue.  While I would love to know how the cartridge reads the ink level, it is irrelevant to my problem.  The next thing to learn is if the issue is a blocked ink galley, would the low ink level fault be displayed?  Or, would another message be flashed?

This printer is used every day; it does not sit.  Of course, Light Gray is rarely used as I change Black ink five times before I replace Light Gray.

Before I start to think about ink flow issues, I really want to determine that a blockage would throw a low ink warning.  Later on this afternoon I will do two things:

1/ Clean the contacts with alcohol.

2/ Run a cleaning cycle.

On Monday afternoon I will call Canon.  Since it is out of warrantee, I wonder if they will even talk to me.

Printer update:

Cleaned the contacts with alcohol.  Ran "normal" cleaning.  The bad news is that the low ink level is still flashing.  The good news is that the cleaning printout is perfect for all cartridges including Light Gray.  This mean good ink flow and no danger of "burning" the head due to lack of ink cooling.

Tomorrow, I will contact Canon.  As long as it is printing with good ink flow from Light Gray, I think I am OK.

Greetings,

Definitely an improvement.  Hopefully Canon can help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I called Canon.  They agreed with this forum thread.  If ink is flowing and printing well, ignore the low ink warning.  I will check the levels weekly and run the simple cleaning monthly.  Consider this problem, if not solved, managed.  If anyone else has this issue, make sure the ink is flowing before ignoring the warnings.

Hi All, I have tried cleaning cartridges and replace both with new cartridges but red lights still showing and showing.. any ideas.. why doesthis always happen when you urgently need to print something... help please... thank you

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements