cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Image file vs Image file for printing vs Printed paper image

raphaelshammaa
Contributor

Hi guys,

I have a PRO-1000, but my question applies to any printing situation. I print museum quality images.

When I am finished printing a specific image, I end up with 3 images: 1. The original Image file on my screen, 2. the adjusted for printing image file on my screen and, 3. the printed image on that expensive, matte, museum grade paper. 

The part that unsettles me is that none of these look anything like either of the other 2. Is that how it is; something I'd better get used to?

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

Thank you,  JR.

Definitely food for thought.

I go back to what you said earlier: I imported the Printer Evaluation Image into LRC (looks great), and prepare to print it.
What does a) "print it using the appropriate  printer settings" and, b)  "I let LrC manage color for all my printing and manually select the appropriate ICC profile (even if I am using Canon paper.)" mean? Don't I have to select the specific paper it's printing on? Print Resolution, Print Sharpening and Bit Output? What specific settings do I use? Thanks.

I may have confused you based on my Pro-100/PC experience base.

For the Pro-100 the only paper types that are available for selection in the driver are Canon brand papers. In the driver, if I am printing on Canon paper I have the option of selecting "Auto" and the printer will select the appropriate Canon ICC profile.

I use many third-party papers. The paper vendor specifies what Canon media type to select and provides an ICC profile. I can't use "Auto" there; I need to specifically select media type and ICC profile.

In order to maintain a standardized workflow I always select manual selection and treat Canon paper like a third-party paper, manually selecting the appropriate Canon ICC profile.

Some printers (maybe the Pro-1000) allow third-party media types to be added to the driver.

Long discussion to answer your question - yes, you need to select the appropriate paper(media) type, the appropriate ICC profile, print resolution (I generally select 600), print sharpening (I know it is selected differently in Ps and LrC - choose what is pleasing to you) and bit output (I select 16-bit printing).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks a lot. Makes things clearer and simpler; although a 600 print resolution seems a bit over the top - but what do I know. An Epson rep once said at a presentation that 280 was the perfect setting because it is the exact multiple of ... uh ...  somethin', can't remember what. I leave it at 300.

On another matter, do you know which Canon paper approximates Epson's Hot Press Natural best? Just asking, in case you know the answer. In other words, I like matte paper with the largest gamut and highest definition - and is not bleached, only because I prefer softer, more saturated looks. And I like to use the same brand as the printer I am using, on the assumption that it'll work best.

Hey John,

I printed the test image on both Epson papers with no adjustments and ... they came out pretty **bleep** good! They both could use a hair more Black - by either using a bit of Texture, Shadow, Sharpness or ... ahem ... even .. Black. My screen brightness was on Max (it's a mid 2012 Mac). So it seems my only problem is ... my own eyes. I can't see that a calibrator would contribute anything. What do you think?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

How is your printing coming along?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

raphaelshammaa
Contributor

Thank you for asking. I appreciate it.

I'll resume tomorrow and keep you in the loop 🙂

Announcements