cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow & color management advice please

jiro
Contributor

Hi all

Using the Pixma Pro 100s.  Having issues with inaccurate colors and so need to ask a few questions rather than waste my entire fresh box of Hahnemuhle Baryta paper trying to work it out

So far I have been printing from from Canon Print Studio Pro in Photoshop, setting the paper profile in Photoshop before opening Print studio pro, then selecting no color management in PSP.  this as far as I can see is the recommended method, but prints coming out with a blue cast. 

I don't have an Eizo setup, working from a 2017 iMac

Can someone advise the proper/best method / settings to achieve accurate colors?

Is it better to print straight from Photoshop Ie. bypassing Print studio pro? 

Do I need to use colorsync ?

many thanks

37 REPLIES 37

xrischan
Contributor
The ICM colour setup is in the printer driver window in printing preferences.

xrischan
Contributor
Na, Na
We shouldn't be making adjustments by eye.
Your room lighting will affect the resulting print. Try taking it outside and see how it looks.
As far as I can see Print Shop Pro is there to avoid conflicts with PS and driver colour management.
I don't use it. As I have my drivers all set up to use the ICM made when profiling.
Try a print through PS with Printer Manages colours selected.
Under print settings you should have colour settings
And somewhere in there you should have ICC Profile Matching.
I have my rendering intent set to relative colour metric in both the driver and the PS print dialog.
Try that and see how you go.

driver page.jpg

Infact, here is a link to the manual, just in-case you havent read it.

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/M/PRO-100S%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_color_correct...

much appreciated will give this a try later

"Your room lighting will affect the resulting print. Try taking it outside and see how it looks."

That's great if one is going to display their prints outside. Otherwise you need to adjust settings to give the desired print output in the intended viewing conditions. 

OP says that the OutbackPhoto test image is printing dark in his opinion. I see two possibilities: 1. OP prefers brighter images or 2. Printer is printing darker due to calibration tolerances. In either event that is why the printer driver or PSP provide the capability to adjust brightness and tone. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

HI. Yes, i see the point of that . ICM management will however grantee the correct colours and brightness are achieved despite current room lighting and screen brightness. Will also guarantee transparency across printers. After working through my fleet i have found its best to get the printer settled then work back through the chain to the screen. I now have all printers printing what i see on screen.

@xrischan wrote:
HI. Yes, i see the point of that . ICM management will however grantee the correct colours and brightness are achieved despite current room lighting and screen brightness. Will also guarantee transparency across printers. After working through my fleet i have found its best to get the printer settled then work back through the chain to the screen. I now have all printers printing what i see on screen.

I agree on a color managed workflow. I have a calibrated monitor on a Windows PC. OP is using a Mac; I have read that they are pretty good out of the box.

As you no doubt have discovered, the greatest problem with printing is having the monitor too bright. That is the good thing about using the OutbackPhoto (or other standardized test image). Get the print looking good and then adjust monitor to reflect how the print looks.

I calibrate my monitor to D50, 80 cd/m^2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have just found this page for your paper;

<link removed per forum guidelines>

I dont know if the Pixma software bundle comes with Profile Editior software, but at least you can download an ICM made for your paper and your printer from their own website

Here is the PDF manual for Print Studio Pro.

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrintStudioPro/M/1.2/EN/PSP/Top.html

See the info on the Pattern Print capability.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements