cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Cardstock Recommendations for Pixma PRO-200

baumgrenze_322
Contributor

I am getting very dull looking prints when I print color photos on my Pixma Pro-200. The cardstock I have is International Paper's 16 pt Cover Smooth 120 lb Accent Opaque cardstock. It gave me perfectly acceptable results with my iP4700. My research suggests that having switched from a pigment to a dye ink printer may be the source of my poor results.

1) I would like some recommendations for a similar weight cardstock that will give me clean, color-balanced prints with the Pro-200.

2) Is it possible that if I use proper ICC color printer profile I might get results as acceptable as I got with the iP4700.

thanks

baum grenze

7 REPLIES 7

normadel
Authority
Authority

The card stock you have is an uncoated paper designed for offset printing, and will give good color with laser printer toner too. But it will absorb too much liquid inkjet ink to give brilliant colors.

For an inkjet printer, you want an inkjet-intended paper, which has a coating that makes ink stay on the surface. 

Here are Canon's offerings. They give their thicknesses.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/ink-toner/paper/photo-paper

I tried finding cardstock that works with dye ink in the link you provided. It seems to be all about photo printing paper.

thanks

baumgrenze

The inks used on an inkjet ARE dye inks. Photos are printed with dye inks.  Photo printing inkjet papers are printed on with dye inks. If they were opaque pigment inks you would not get mixing of colors.

I don't understand what else you want.

@normadel wrote:

The inks used on an inkjet ARE dye inks. Photos are printed with dye inks.  Photo printing inkjet papers are printed on with dye inks. If they were opaque pigment inks you would not get mixing of colors.

I don't understand what else you want.

Inkjet printers can be dye ink or pigment ink. All the high end Canon printers above the PRO-100 and PRO-200 are pigment inks. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@baumgrenze_322 wrote:

I am getting very dull looking prints when I print color photos on my Pixma Pro-200. The cardstock I have is International Paper's 16 pt Cover Smooth 120 lb Accent Opaque cardstock. It gave me perfectly acceptable results with my iP4700. My research suggests that having switched from a pigment to a dye ink printer may be the source of my poor results.

1) I would like some recommendations for a similar weight cardstock that will give me clean, color-balanced prints with the Pro-200.

2) Is it possible that if I use proper ICC color printer profile I might get results as acceptable as I got with the iP4700.

thanks

baum grenze

You are on target with respect to results from pigment vs dye ink.

ICC profiles control color, so if you had a custom ICC profile created for that printer/media combination you would get better results, but the profile won't correct for the ink absorption.

Maybe something like this: neenah-bright-white-catalog.ashx (neenahpaper.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I checked with Neenah. They make no coated cardstock.

Thanks for trying.

baum grenze

Maybe try posting here:

Jtoolman Photo Printing Techie | Facebook

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

click here to view the gallery
Announcements