cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to change ink carts on a Pro 10

Aleik
Apprentice

Old topic and my apologies, but I wonder if someone can advise on the cut-off point for a cartridge? Only one cart indicates low, but the domino effect will begin to occur soon. For instance, would photo cyan and photo black be worth changing at the stage shown below? I don't like the idea of waiting til the red "X" appears, as I don't want to burn the printhead. I've managed to get 20 A5 images out on "!", but I don't dare take it further.

Windows doesn't offer the Canon IJ utility for Pro 10. Just trying my best not to waste expensive ink, while keeping the printer healthy. Many thanks!

Ink levels.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think this is something you can gauge based on use and the project.  You don't need to replace a "low' cartridge as soon as you are notified, but if I was doing a large project or making larger prints, I might consider changing a low cartridge sooner rather than later. 

You'll get a feel for it as you use it more.  Also based on what you are printing.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I wait till the printer stops printing and the red X appears.

Then I replace any cartridges with an exclamation point.

As you pointed out, there's a lot of printing left once the exclamation point appears. Not all cartridges showing an exclamation point will have the domino effect, but I find it easier just to do a clean install and get rid of all warnings once printing stops.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you both! 

Specifically with the red X - that's quite illuminating. I've heard horror stories of burnt print heads (a replacement expense I don't want to face) from having let ink run totally dry...so the printer just straight up won't let you print any more? Unsure if that situation might be different on a Pro 10 with pigment inks, instead of dye-based. Sorry, I'm very new to this.

I can't state for sure that the printer would prevent going past the red x alert. I just never have tried.

Printer stops and the warning appears and I act as described above. My printer is 6 years old and no problems following that routine.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements