cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to locate icc paper profiles downloaded from Ilford.and installed on computer.

rogercatt48
Apprentice

Hi. Have a Canon PRO-100s printer. Would like to use Ilford's Galarie Pearl paper if I can. Downloaded icc profile from the Ilford website and installed as per the instructions supplied. Have an iMac running Yosemite. Have Lightroom and Photoshop cc. installed. Installed the profile to HD/Library/Color/Sync/Profiles and restarted Lightroom. Unable to find the profile in the print dialog or in the Print Studio Pro. Plugin. Used the ColorSync utiliy and it says that the desc tag is incorrect, what ever that is. Has anyone had else had issues with Ilford icc profiles on this printer? Any advice would be very welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sorry for the delay! Thanks Palouse for your reply. I think the problem is the Ilford profiles. Their PRO-100s profiles don't show up where they should, but the PRO-100 profiles do. On their icc profile web page, they list the 100s as using pigment inks! not dye based. Their PRO-100 icc profile page gets the ink right. This perhaps is why they don't show up where they should. Even Canon's own list of profiles for various paper manufacturers don't list profiles for the 100s. Apart for Ilford that is, and they're wrong.! I'll use the PRO-100 profiles as was suggested by ebiggs1. Thanks everbody for you replies.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Most of the issues with this type of stuff is with Macs.  Whether it is the OS or improper installation, who knows. But I would redownload it and try again.  Make sure you delete what you have first.  It should work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hello ebiggs 1. I Did what you suggested. Deleted the download and accompanying profile. Redownloaded and installed profile again, but still no joy. I've noticed that at the location, HD/Applications/Canon utilities/Profile, there are folders, EN01 to 09, which contain paper profiles for Epson, Canson etc. but their  for the Canon PRO-100, not the 100s. I copied the Epson profile to the correct location and it showed up in the print dialog. I'm hoping the PRO-100 profile is the same as 100s. Thanks for your advice.

I am really talking over my head because I don't have a Mac and I have the Pro-100 not the 100s.  So I am of very little help.  I have seen on the forum several times folks with Mac's are having issues like yours and thought something may have gone wrong with the installation.  It seems sometimes manufactuers lag behind Apple when there is a new OS.  Maybe that is it.

I wonder if the S uses the same profiles?  The printers are pretty much the same except for the cloud gimick.

Sorry I could not be any more help for you.

EB

Palouse
Contributor

When you see your list of ICC profiles, do you have a "see more profiles" at the end of that list? If so, click on it and proceed.

Sorry for the delay! Thanks Palouse for your reply. I think the problem is the Ilford profiles. Their PRO-100s profiles don't show up where they should, but the PRO-100 profiles do. On their icc profile web page, they list the 100s as using pigment inks! not dye based. Their PRO-100 icc profile page gets the ink right. This perhaps is why they don't show up where they should. Even Canon's own list of profiles for various paper manufacturers don't list profiles for the 100s. Apart for Ilford that is, and they're wrong.! I'll use the PRO-100 profiles as was suggested by ebiggs1. Thanks everbody for you replies.

I've just had this exact problem, brand new Pixma Pro-100S and Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper.   Thanks to this thread, I've downloaded the ICC profile for the Pro-100 and it now appears in the Printer Profiles in Print Studio Pro.  However the list of print media under Media Types does not include the Ilford paper.  Does this matter?  What effect does the choice of Media Type have?  This is also the case when printing directly from my photo processing software (Photoshop Elements 11). 

I've chosen a paper that sounds like it would be similar to the Ilford Smooth Pearl (Photo Paper Pro Luster), though I'm not sure that it is the same. 

Would the Pro-100S require different ICC profiles from the Pro-100 or can the Pro-100 profiles be used?  I'm not sure what the differences between the two printers are but I gather these relate mainly to connectivity.

Thanks in advance.

"Does this matter?"          Yes, it most likely will if you are after the best results.

"What effect does the choice of Media Type have?"     It will send the wrong settings to the printer.  Wrong ICC profiles are probably the biggest reason why people get screwy results.  You may find one that works.  You can make your own, too.

"I'm not sure what the differences between the two printers ...."   The changes extend only to compatibility with Canon's PIXMA Cloud Link service.  The profiles are the same.

EB

Thanks EBiggs1 for your reply.  It's good to know that I can use the Pro-100 profiles. 

I'm still mystified as to why the new Ilford profile shows up in the printer profile list but that the Ilford paper isn't included in the list of papers.  The paper options remain unchanged from the defaults that came with the printer. This is in both the PSE print dialogue boxes and in the Print Studio Pro dialogue boxes. 

I've printed using the new profile and approximated the paper choice to something that may be close in the Canon range.  The result is good, though I'm still left wondering whether it could be any better.  I'm waiting on a shipment of Canon papers to experiment with. 

"I'm still mystified as to why the new Ilford profile shows up in the printer profile list but that the Ilford paper isn't included in the list of papers."

If I understand that sentence properly, all papers do not have a profile.  Some companies don't see fit to make or offer one for every paper they sell.  Red River is the best at providing the correct profile for every paper they sell.  They are a very good source for info on Canon printers, too.

Or, secondly, the profile may not have installed correctly or in the right place.

EB
Announcements